Thread: Blackmagic URSA EF vs CION

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by stier View Post
    Create white circle shape, track black sun spot. Even a few keyframes do.
    Dunno why people cry about this all the time. The material needs to be CC'ed anyway.
    There is just one thing a firmware update needs to address - usable audio, maybe meters.
    Sure one basic histogram could be nice.

Sounds like a lot of work, specially if there flares cause by this light source.

And what's with the fixed pattern noise everybody keeps talking about?

Quote Originally Posted by xjs View Post
    Sounds like a lot of work, specially if there flares cause by this light source. And what's with the fixed pattern noise everybody keeps talking about?
    I don't think you have encountered the problem yet. Do you even have a BM camera? The fixed pattern noise only occurs on the 4k. The BMCC does exhobit rolling lines when underexposed too much.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
    http://nofilmschool.com/2014/04/nab-...uction-camera/

In the interview here, the guy says currently it's linear only, and will prob stay that way to be used with a LUT box or something else. About 4:40.

???????????????

Have i misunderstood? Cause that seems like a big deal to me.
    Bumping this. I gotta think i'm interpreting this wrong. Storing Linear in Prores? Would anyone be okay editing linear?
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Also... "AJA RAW".... he mentions it will be open to anyone to support. Proprietary raw format?
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

I can see many users here shouting a price advantage to URSA but is it really like that? AJA SSD pak is way cheaper than CFast cards so a simple mathematical equation quickly puts both cameras on par (regarding price), when you evaluate recording media.

IMHO, AJA got it right with the Cion. Clever ergonomics and weight. EVF instead of stupidly (sorry… It's only my opinion on it), big an awkward 10" screen that probably will serve no purpose when shooting at direct sunlight.

If AJA would come with interchangeable sensors it was a no brainer for me (and I'm a BM owner). BM cleverly made what RED should have made when they announced their "Obsolescence Obsolete" campaign.

Anyway… The tricky part is yet to come and that is to see what kind of image both companies can acquire from their cameras after sensor calibration, knowing for anticipation that URSA will probably ship with BMPC sensor so not so sensitive as others Global shutters out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    Then don't buy it.
    lauging baby.jpg

Bumping this. I gotta think i'm interpreting this wrong. Storing Linear in Prores? Would anyone be okay editing linear?
    Not very clear, but he might have meant the external output.
    Also, it was said as an answer to a question about log, and a lot of people incorrectly use "linear" when they actually mean gamma encoded (or anything non-log).

Curious about that too. I would think he meant to say log. That would make sense if they are promoting the use of a LUT box.

As for the AJA RAW format I don't know enough about the technologies involved however it would be great to see it in combination with an Odyssey Q7. I dropped Convergent Design a tweet today and they where yet to check out the Cion however would look into it.

The good thing about AJA's camera is fact that they have been working on it for a long time, so it should be way more reliable than BM first camera.

Quote Originally Posted by naavt View Post
    EVF instead of stupidly (sorry… It's only my opinion on it), big an awkward 10" screen that probably will serve no purpose when shooting at direct sunlight.
    Cion doesn't have an EVF. Add your own like URSA. Also, you don't know if that 10" is useable in sunlight or not. It's not touch screen. It's made for the image.

Quote Originally Posted by naavt View Post
    Anyway… The tricky part is yet to come and that is to see what kind of image both companies can acquire from their cameras after sensor calibration, knowing for anticipation that URSA will probably ship with BMPC sensor so not so sensitive as others Global shutters out there.
    Yes, just that minor, tricky part. Also, high chance the Cion is the same sensor so i wanna see some images from it!! I think it's exciting all these new cameras from various companies. Best NAB yet for me!!
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.