Thread: "Public Beta" of a new LUT from me.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    lens was the panasonic 25mm f1.4 and 12-35mm f2.8 with the hoya ir cut filter. and a vari nd filter on the outside daylight stuff. it's all shot on my bmpcc in prores.

Ah, i've actually noticed the Hoya IR Cut can add a bit of magenta compared to 'base' on my own stuff. Still, i'll try adjusting the LUT for this as i can see there's probably more than needed.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

I got the impression that a lot of us are shooting with the Hoya IR cut always on the lens. That's what I'm doing, even when there's no ND on it.
    If you can adjust it, that would be great. But I just played around a bit with the white balance and tint and you're right, it's quite easy to get rid of the magenta.
    To me it looks like most of the magenta is in the lower end of the mid tones.

//UPDATE TO V0.4

4K Camera - http://www.captainhook.co.nz/LUT_Hoo...MPLE_V0.4.cube
    BMDFilm - http://www.captainhook.co.nz/LUT_Hoo...MPLE_V0.4.cube

First pass addressing magneta and 'pinkish' skin. Would love it if everyone (who downloaded the early version) could give thoughts on this versus 0.3.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Quote Originally Posted by Tom View Post
    Here are some sneaky stills from a production I filmed recently

Somehow missed this. Looking great Tom, especially the above. Skin doesn't look too pinkish there on this monitor, was it a WB/Tint adjustment to get it there (since it would be V0.3 on this, not V0.4 i just posted) ? If so, was skin too pinkish out the box? How's 0.4 on the same image?

Thanks for participated and trying it out!
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

Here some examples with snow and SEA-skin
    Basic - Vibe - Simple in that order. Only basic exposure tweaks, means no crazy curves ;(

Thanks stier, is that Simple V0.3 or V0.4 ? Can you post ungraded?
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

I never downloaded the V0.3, just got the 0.4 today. Camera was set to 5600k, no ND'ing, lens stopped down to the extreme (ISO200 ProRes). Dunno about diffraction of the Sigma 10-20 3.5.
    Just wanted to take the change to shoot in this scenario. Your Basic LUT obviously works much better here in terms of neutrality in colors. The others offer some crazy highlight protection though. Was able to push the exposure much more, which resulted in increased mid levels.

Thanks for these, helpful images for sure. I think i've narrowed down that the change that needed to happen was really in the node i use to convert the initial LUT from the 4K cam (on which it was built) into BMDFilm - i haven't updated that node since my earlier LUTs and i think it needed it for this approach. I've also made a tweak to the 4K version, but it doesn't need to be nearly as much as the BMDFilm version. I think it's maybe because the 4K cam and it's colour science is a little more 'pure' out the gate than BMDFilm. I'll post the updates tomorrow when i've looked again with fresh eyes.

Also, was this Pocket or BMCC? The other factor is i think both need IR cut even with no ND, where as the 4K cam doesn't (based on my comparisons i did over in the Hoya ProND thread). So that might be skewing things also. Would be GREAT for some 4K owners to get in here. Anyone ?

FYI - The 'Basic' LUT doesn't offer the same highlight curve as the other two as it's luminance curve is taken directly from the official BMD LUT, only the colour on that LUT was done from 'scratch' where as the other two are fully from scratch.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

ok, tried out version 0.4 and I don't really see a big improvement with the magenta tint. I think it shows best when compared to the vibe lut.

maybe it's a personal preference thing, but right now I think the vibe lut has more natural looking colors. with that slight magenta tint in the simple lut it just looks a bit off.

vibe:

simple:

flat:

vibe:

simple:

flat:

vibe:

simple:

flat:

vibe:

simple:

flat: