Thread: "Public Beta" of a new LUT from me.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
  1. #1 "Public Beta" of a new LUT from me. 
    This is partly an experiment, but i've been working on a "clean" LUT for quite a while (since end of last year) and i hit a bit of breakthrough recently with it that's made me want to take it to a 'release' stage. Because the ambitions of such a thing are HIGH, and the reality of such a thing working for a variety of footage shoot by different people in different situations is LOW, i decided to see if getting public feedback on the LUT would produce a better result. My thoughts are seeing it on more footage than i would be able to doing a 'private beta' or trying it out on a variety of footage myself would save me a ton of time. Perhaps not many will be interested and this goes no where, that's fine also.

As a reminder, the LUTs i release are a potential starting point for beginning a grade, i do not expect them to replace the need to do some ACTUAL grading (and neither should you). I only hope that they may speed up the process which in my opinion leads to better results overall (working fast is IMHO better for creativity, maintaining first impressions and objectivity, etc)

If i can make a couple of requests to those that participate;

• I fully expect disagreements to happen. I just ask they be kept civil and remain discussions, not arguments please.

• No questions about how to install/use/download the LUTs etc. Plenty of info in other threads about that.

• Please post before/after frames so we can see what you're talking about (when applicable). It's also helpful for me as i can take the before frames and test myself here (so higher quality JPGs/TIFs/DPXs or single DNGs at full res are better).

At the moment they have the nickname "SIMPLE" (even though really there's possible more happening in the background than my other LUTs) since the intention is to be a simple/clean conversion from the BMD log image into a 709ish one.

INTENTIONS OF THE LUT

This LUT is really geared towards the current 4K camera, but should also work well for the BMCC/Pocket.

The goal (as ambitious as it is) is for rich, clean, separated colour with neutral blacks and highlights. Some lenses are slightly more green, some are more magenta, some are warm, some are cold, etc etc the same with filters so please adjust the WB/Tint to suit your footage and preferences. I wouldn't even try to account for that in the LUT. By design it's quite low contrast on the output and 'soft' with the highlights. If your footage is from an overcast day, you will prob want to up the contrast/saturation feeding the LUT. I always expect this anyway before the LUT as mentioned about WB/Tint (or after the LUT if you prefer the results). Outdoors on a bright sunny day with high contrast should be close starting wise. But again, i want to see what you all find and post with your footage too.

Files are here:

//UPDATE TO V0.8

4K Cam - http://www.captainhook.co.nz/LUT_Hoo...MPLE_V0.8.cube
    BMDFillm - http://www.captainhook.co.nz/LUT_Hoo...MPLE_V0.8.cube

//UPDATE TO V0.7

4K Cam - http://www.captainhook.co.nz/LUT_Hoo...MPLE_V0.7.cube
    BMDFillm - http://www.captainhook.co.nz/LUT_Hoo...MPLE_V0.7.cube

I'll post up some examples soon.
    Last edited by CaptainHook; 12-28-2014 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Updated LUT Links
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Some examples from footage i've shot using "SIMPLE V0.3":

4K CAM Examples (Prores):

4K Cam - Shot by Kholi (LUT applied to JPGs posted by Kholi)

BMDFilm Examples Shot by Me (BMCC and PocketCam - Prores and RAW)

This post will update as the LUT changes.
    Last edited by CaptainHook; 03-17-2014 at 03:13 AM.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

I'm loving what it's doing with the skin tones. Keep em' comin Capn'.

Thanks! Skin tone is a tricky one as it's so sensitive and subtle shifts can really change the impression of them. From monitor to monitor it can vary quite a bit especially across different models/manufacturers, even when those displays all are 'calibrated'. I'm not doing anything skin specific here (not yet anyway), and chose to post a lot of the examples above as they show a range from more 'pinkish' through to 'orangish' which are all fairly natural/neutral to how they were shot.

At this point, i'm not trying to 'squeeze' skin variation to keep it more together like in previous LUTs i've done - to keep this one more natural, but that's open to discussion like everything else.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

Looking good! The colors look very natural. I like it! I'm going to post some frames from my footage later tonight.

I was just about to say, the skin tones do look a little bit on the redder side of things. Not necessarily a bad thing, but of note.

The shot of the lake/mountain/cloud landscape and the refraction of the sunset is stunning. Really harnesses the bit depth.

OK, I'll be that guy, but those "file" links just take me to a page with a bunch of data.

Quote Originally Posted by stylz View Post
    OK, I'll be that guy, but those "file" links just take me to a page with a bunch of data.
    Right click the link and save as .cube file
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Tried it out on some footage I shot over the weekend on my BMCC

The order goes:

1. RAW log
    2. Simple BMD and exposure adjustment alone
    3. Simple BMD and Film convert and my own adjustments/grading (with grain)
    Attached Images
    Last edited by jambredz; 03-17-2014 at 12:48 PM.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

I LOVE this one!

It does a great job for a nice clean look out of the camera.

Here is a quick before/after from me.
    hook_lut_test_1_flat.jpghook_lut_test_1_LUT.jpg
    All I did was apply the LUT. This was shot on the pocket camera.
    -Michael Beck
    RawCinema.net