Thread: 4K - Now what? Codecs discussion...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I don't see how these will help you export 4K from a grading/editing software. These are trascoding apps/workflows.
    The issue is not how to get 4K prores. You do get 4K prores from the 4K BM camera in the first place, so no need to transcode anything. The question is how to output 4K from your favorite video processing software after doing whatever work on the footage.

Quote Originally Posted by cpc View Post
    I don't see how these will help you export 4K from a grading/editing software. These are trascoding apps/workflows.
    The issue is not how to get 4K prores. You do get 4K prores from the 4K BM camera in the first place, so no need to transcode anything. The question is how to output 4K from your favorite video processing software after doing whatever work on the footage.
    Both mcgeedigital and I are just responding to OP's question:

Quote Originally Posted by dmez
    NOW....what to do about an intermediate Codec? ... I am Windows based so I do not have an option of exporting in ProRes.
    Of course you don't have to use ProRes if you don't want to, we're just saying it is available on Windows as an option.

You can edit prores in premiere in windows.
    -Michael Beck

Quote Originally Posted by kin869 View Post
    Of course you don't have to use ProRes if you don't want to, we're just saying it is available on Windows as an option.
    I still don't see how you will export 4K prores from, say, Premiere, or Resolve, or whatever.

Prores isn't an option on Windows PCs. This pretty much leaves you with cineform or some more obscure codec; or image sequences. Kinda strange that Avid haven't updated dnxhd to 4k+ yet.

There are new options for DNxHD coming. It has been just finalised by SMPTE, but I am not sure if they include 4K.

Cineform in terms of technology is waaay the best option, but support is still not 'full'.
    Cineform is going to be SMPTE standard very soon (progress is at 95%), so maybe than we will get wide adoption.
    At the moment choice of codecs is dictated by the chosen workflow and ProRes is not a bad option.

I believe the free Cinferom decoder is not resolution limited, so you can playback 4k cineform encoded files without owning GoPro Studio Premium.
    Cineform decoder is free for any resolution and quality. Encoder is free up to HD as far as I know.
    Not many compressed codecs support 4K, your best bet is h264 at the moment (h265 is still far from being usable in real world).
    Intermediate codecs: ProRes, Cineform, ffmpeg based lossless ffv1, utvideo, etc., proprietary, but free Canopus HQX (great codec with PC and Mac versions), Sony's branded XAVC (which is just h264 inside MXF). There are other option but with limited support.
    Last edited by Andrew_HD; 02-22-2014 at 05:38 PM.