Thread: Using H.264 and 2.5k DNG in the same timeline?

1. #1 Using H.264 and 2.5k DNG in the same timeline? 
    Hi There,

This might sound like a newbie question, but I just finished filming a music video with my BMCC in 2.5k raw at 23.976fps, and shot some B-roll footage with a Nikon D800 in 1080P h.264 at 24fps (lowest fps available for this camera).

Now, once I import all of my cinemaDNG files into my media pool, I've got smooth playback with no issues. But as soon as I introduce the h.264 clips into the timeline, the playback on only those clips is reaching 8-10fps at most.

Is there any way to have both of these file formats working well together in the same timeline? I know they're of different resolutions and slightly different fps, but I was just hoping to color correct them in the same timeline if possible.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Jeremy

You should convert all the H.264 to a better format for processing... ProRes or DNxHD.
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Cwfilms View Post
    Hi There,

This might sound like a newbie question, but I just finished filming a music video with my BMCC in 2.5k raw at 23.976fps, and shot some B-roll footage with a Nikon D800 in 1080P h.264 at 24fps (lowest fps available for this camera).-Jeremy
    This is probably because the differences in frame rates without previous to import, preparing the Master Project Settings for allowing difference frame rates using the "handle mixed frame rage material" check box. In oder for this to work this step has to be done before the import. The other options is the one recommended by Peter Chamberlain in the previous response.

As Peter said, convert the H264 to a post production friendly codec. H264 is a consumer delivery codec. It takes a lot of resources to decode before resolve can work with it.

I wrote a blog post about AVCHD in FCPX to Resolve work flow a while back as I was having similar issues:
    http://www.adamroberts.net/blog/a-wo...x-and-resolve/
    Adam Roberts
    www.adamroberts.net