Thread: Choppy playback in resolve why?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Choppy playback in resolve why? 
    hey guys , i wanted to ask , has anyone had issues with resolve , i downloaded the 9 beta version a couple of days ago to start learning myself how to work with it , but everytime i try to playback a clip or image sequence , its choppy and lags

my systems specs is i run on pc - 16gb of ram , 6tb of WD hdd , i7 920 , Geforce 9500 gt , dell u2711

i tried to work with the ikonoskop sample cinema dng , at first i thought it was maybe because my system cant play this raw files smoothly ,
    but than i tried other formats and it seems that everything is choppy in playback , tried to play with the settings and preferences , does anybody encountered with this problem and HELP me , is it because of my old graphic card ?
    (btw: on speedgrade the cinemadng files run great and smooth ) ?

It's because you are not following the Resolve Windows Config guide (available on the web site where you downloaded the Resolve software) as far as using supported graphics cards. Yes, your single 9500gt card is probably the main issue.

ok i will look into that , i thought it was time to replace graphic card anyhow , thanks dwaine

Old topic I know but I'm struggling with a similiar problem. I got choppy playback. On a 25p timeline I get more or less 25fps but the playback is still choppy. Is this normal - I mean are the rest of you experiencing this to? Or is the playback smooth for you?

I'm on Resolve Lite 9, system: i7 950, 24GB DDR3, GTX470, and the material is playing of a single 500GB HDD that has a single platter.

Sometimes it helps to set the monitoring to 4:2:2.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    Sometimes it helps to set the monitoring to 4:2:2.
    I actually already had it set to 4:2:2 but I've discovered that if I set it to a lover resolution that I get smooth playback (it has to be set to SD).
    Weird - this "Video Monitoring" is only for I/O right? But currently I have no I/O device on this workstation but this is still affecting my
    performance...

This won't work because when set to SD the waveform and other graphs get scaled down to the lower resolution.

Looks like my system isn't strong enough to playback at real time I'm grading DNxHD 185 10 bit material. Interesting, I thought that it would play this in RT...

Okey, I get RT playback if I turn of the scopes or if I substantially scale them down (right now I have them almost fullscreen on my second monitor).

Talking to my self here, nice

9500 GT. Get an EVGA GTX 570 with 2.5BGs RAM. around $200.00.