Thread: Cheap/affordable option to power zacuto evf from tilta vmount plate

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Cheap/affordable option to power zacuto evf from tilta vmount plate 
    So i received my tilta vmount plate today and i thought the canon battery cable that came with it would be able to power my zacuto evf. However it does not fit on it for whatever reason. (it powers my 7d just fine though.) Is there a cheap/affordable option like a ep-L6 to 12v connector or a cheap d tap to canon ep-L6 connector (that actually works with zacuto's evf). Zacuto's own costs $170 then i'd have to get the d tap splitter which is another $65. I would need the splitter because the only d tap connection on the plate is powering the camera. Ideally id just want to power it from the either the12v connection or the 8v connection on the plate. Anything out there like this?
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Taking a Vacation
    Does it have any other power in point besides the Ep-L6 plate?

BTW, isn't that Titla V mount plate great!?

It doesn't have any other power input. I had have same problem with 3 adapter. First one that came with my Dynacore AB plate from Globalmediapro hade the cable coming out in the bottom, so I could attach it to the Zacuto without destroying the thing and cut the plastic. It had a crack anyway, but it totally fell apart and I cant have the circuits open like that.

I've have since ordered other couplers from ebay that had the cable come out correctly to mount it, but it was impossible to mount them anyway on the Zacuto. And that pisses me off since all my LP-E6 batteries of different brands fits and work without issues. The coupler even fit the battery chargers!

Quote Originally Posted by vicharris View Post
    Does it have any other power in point besides the Ep-L6 plate?

BTW, isn't that Titla V mount plate great!?

Lies... I just remembered it can be powered via its usb port. But what cable goes from usb to one of the connections on the tilta plate? Google time.
    Darren Scott

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    Lies... I just remembered it can be powered via its usb port. But what cable goes from usb to one of the connections on the tilta plate? Google time.
    It can? I don't remember it mention when reading the manual... But if that works, great. Now we just need a cable. But anyway, the Zacuto lasts half a day on one battery. I got two batteries, so I'm good if I can't get it to work with my plate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hampus Lager View Post
    It can? I don't remember it mention when reading the manual... But if that works, great. Now we just need a cable. But anyway, the Zacuto lasts half a day on one battery. I got two batteries, so I'm good if I can't get it to work with my plate.
    Its not in the manual that i can remember however a couple users here were powering their zacuto evf via usb if im not mistaken. I will go search the forums... But i know it was in the discussion about one of those cheap sdi to hdmi converters.

I wonder if this will work http://www.ebay.com/itm/200692359313

Im a total idiot when it comes to these power things... So anyone that knows pls enlighten my darkness if this cable will work from the 5v connection on the tilta plate.
    Darren Scott

I don't see why not, just make sure the inner/out diameter of the dc connector is the right size. the cables that came with my plate have labels so I know my size. Will try this tomorrow.

Ok, tested to power the Zacuto via USB with my computer. Didn't work.

Damn coukd have sworn they were powering it from USB. Hmm...

Oh off topic question for any tilta plate users. What's the point of the switch on top? I mean i thought it was an on/off swtich however if i place the battery on the plate with camera plugged in the camera shows its being charged whether the switch is on or off. I still switch it on but not sure why. Is that normal behaviour?
    Darren Scott

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    Damn coukd have sworn they were powering it from USB. Hmm...

Oh off topic question for any tilta plate users. What's the point of the switch on top? I mean i thought it was an on/off swtich however if i place the battery on the plate with camera plugged in the camera shows its being charged whether the switch is on or off. I still switch it on but not sure why. Is that normal behaviour?
    the switch will activate the dc-dc regulator. as long as you only use the plate for charging your camera (with what ever voltage is coming from the battery) you dont need to switch it on. you only need it if you need 5V / 8V / or 12V regulated. if you dont need keep it off since it draws energy from your battery.