Thread: 8mm f1.4 lens for BMPCC

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 8mm f1.4 lens for BMPCC 
    I was having trouble to find a wide lens for BMPCC

Panasonic 7-14 is so big and very slow, max F stop @ 4!!! No filter can be attached!!!

Samyang or Rokinon 7.5mm is a fish eye lens. have a fisheye distortion view but not wide enough on BMPCC. max F 3.5 is slow too. No Filters too!!!!

Than I find it on ebay. It's a wonderful wide and fast lens ,8mm =Full Frame 24mm, wide enough. F=1.4 fast lens. good for night shoot.

Lightweight only 7 Oz. Perfect for speical use,aerial or sports. Filter ring is 55mm can use normal ND or VND on it.

A little soft @f1.4 after f2.0 it's very sharp.

The most improtant thing. The lens is for S16 not 16mm camera. So you will not find any vigenttes on the screen.

It's made of KOWA in Japan, A big Japanese optical company. The lens has a metal body. The focus ring scale about 330 degree. The iris ring is smooth.

MOD about 2in or 5cm. You may call it a Macro lens.

Check my test footage shutter 180 ASA800 ND 0.9 DNG (It's a $10 plastic ND filter soft the image and a little pink~~)

vimeo.com/81582349

Here's some snaps

looks pretty cool. where did you buy the lens from and how much did you pay?

there is some pretty bad chromatic aberation in most of the shots. that might be a problem for some folks...
    and I don't like how the bokeh looks at 2.8. but it looks really nice at 1.4

but I guess there are not many alternatives if you want an 8mm 1.4....

ebay $450 from China

hm, looks like there's none for sale on ebay right now and I can't seem to find an online shop that sells these. are they really that hard to find?

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken View Post
    hm, looks like there's none for sale on ebay right now and I can't seem to find an online shop that sells these. are they really that hard to find?
    It's from China, You may use the advaced search>Location>From preferred locations>Worldwide

Found it in a few seconds. Search Kowa 8mm on eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blackmagic-p...item338990c581

Not that I really want it. It doesn't look like it would match my Schneiders, but nice to know of options.

hm, weird. didn't show up in my search results, even though I had it set to world wide search.

I think the price is too steep for a lens with such strong chromatic aberations. I found a shop that sells the c-mount version of this lens for $123: http://industrialcamerasales.com/car...ount-p-42.html that's exactly the same lens just with a different mount. if you add a c-mount to m43 adapter to it, the $450 price seems a bit ridiculous.

are there any alternatives that are 8mm and fast?

Likey. I could definitely see someone complaining about the pentagonal bokeh though, pretty soon in here...

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken View Post
    hm, weird. didn't show up in my search results, even though I had it set to world wide search.

I think the price is too steep for a lens with such strong chromatic aberations. I found a shop that sells the c-mount version of this lens for $123: http://industrialcamerasales.com/car...ount-p-42.html that's exactly the same lens just with a different mount. if you add a c-mount to m43 adapter to it, the $450 price seems a bit ridiculous.

are there any alternatives that are 8mm and fast?
    I tried this lens LM8JC before the 1” LM8HC. It's for 2/3" CCTV. Tiny lens but heavy vignettes. I returned it just 10mins after I got it.
    T2.4udXyxXXXXXXXXX_!!504700862.jpgT2lG9dXydXXXXXXXXX_!!504700862.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by 4saken;102348I found a shop that sells the c-mount version of this lens for $123: [url
    http://industrialcamerasales.com/cart/kowa-8mm-f14-compact-lens-cmount-p-42.html[/url] that's exactly the same lens just with a different mount. if you add a c-mount to m43 adapter to it, the $450 price seems a bit ridiculous.
    The lens you linked to is fixed focus, & not the one being discussed. The correct lens is KOWA's LM8HC & retails for about $400 USD.

http://www.industrialvisioncomponent...roducts_id=395

http://www.visionresearch.com/Store/...product_ID=283

The seller has added (& machined) a C-to-m4/3 mount & sells it for $450.

I also ordered one of these lenses & it should arrive today or tomorrow.