Thread: Davinci vs Adobe Camera Raw vs Lightroom

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Davinci vs Adobe Camera Raw vs Lightroom 
    Hi people,

i searched for that topic but didn't really find a thread that can answer my questions.
    when i was researching in the internet i often read that adobe camera raw is the best tool to grade bmc raw files. i read also that when u import the dng's in resolve u dont grade the dng's by itself, you grade a de-bayered processed sequence. is that right? if yes then is ACR the best way to get most image quality out of the raw files? i mean it is the same like stills you take from a photocamera.
    and what about lightroom?
    i know davinci has way more options to use, but only for grading and color correction what would you take?

best
    gregory
    GRÉGORY

144, Samuel H has posted some comparisons between Resolve and ACR. Not sure if Resolve 10 changes the results for this, as I understand the samples may have been processed in Resolve 9. I recall reading that there are rare occasions where ACR may cause a flicker to certain types of footage being processed, due to the photo stills nature of the ACR RAW processing that the software code came from, and perhaps not optimised for motion images when it became available to us in After Effects. ACR and Lightroom have very good debayer, processing may take longer. A lot of people like ACR, having come from processing RAW stills for years, whereas RAW is new to a lot of us dealing with motion images.

ACR and Resolve are both great options, I wouldn't know which one is better. Except, I can't understand how Resolve works, it's so non-intuitive, I've never been able to learn how to use it. But if you don't have that problem, it's great, it's fast, and nothing beats "free".

debayering on ACR is much better than R9, dont know about about R10 though.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit View Post
    I recall reading that there are rare occasions where ACR may cause a flicker to certain types of footage being processed, due to the photo stills nature of the ACR RAW processing that the software code came from, and perhaps not optimised for motion images when it became available to us in After Effects. ACR and Lightroom have very good debayer, processing may take longer.
    flickering only occurs if you abuse the sliders hard left or right.
    the guys over at magic lantern have more or less figured out a safe zone for a clip not to flicker.
    i would choose ACR every single time except for the fact that the workflow is slow in comparison to resolve.
    ACR also automatically removes certain types of hot/dead pixels and has tools to remove them.
    Last edited by prio; 12-05-2013 at 06:52 AM.

We made quite a few improvements in the DaVinci Resolve V10 debayer so its worth looking into that version. I think you will find some image some system do better than others but its not all biased to one system any more.

Raw images, no matter which application, need to be debayered. There are image processing steps in that debayer and then further processes once the image is in RGB pixel data form. Everyone has to do this.

The key to using Resolve for raw images is to use the camera raw controls to get the full range of raw data debayered and into the RGB processing engine. Resolve uses 32 bit floating point so has far more precision and range than any existing capture device. All the data once in the RGB space has the benefit of all the extra Resolve features. The debayer and processing in Resolve is performed within the same GPU so its fast.

Peter

I found the debayering in R9 to be already pretty good, any improvements will be just icing on the cake. Then again, I really need some instructions to eat this cake, it seems to come in a child-proof case I'm completely unable to open...
    (please please please make a 10-hour course for R10 and charge me $100 for downloading it; I will think of it as the actual price of the software, and will probably be quite happy about it)

I have compared the debayer methods for quite some time now:
    I found that:
    - Best results I have got with Phase One debayer, best detail, best colors, most versatile controls to make the images look really HDR.
    - Second best has been Adobe Camera Raw in Lightroom. There is some aliasing on the result though. Less than Resolve probably and much easier to adjust the colors to my liking.
    - Third is libraw with the following settings: /usr/bin/dcraw_emu -4 -T -H 1 -g 2.7 0 -m 19 -n 0 -o 0 -b 1.5 image.dng
    - Fourth is anything else, including Resolve. I like the libraw debayer over Resolve because I get significantly less aliasing with the libraw debayer. However, I potentially lose some detail as well.

I only had a demo version of Lightroom and it already expired so I am not using it anymore.
    The Phase One crashes on my iMac every time on big import. Apparently it runs some GPU code that is buggy on this and boom. I need to use the power switch to
    regain control to the computer. I have been only able to import one image at a time to Phase One without crashing my late 2009 iMac. Phase One probably works better
    on newer computers, haven't tried on my rMBP yet.

Quote Originally Posted by karoliinasalmin View Post
    I have compared the debayer methods for quite some time now:
    I found that:
    - Best results I have got with Phase One debayer, best detail, best colors, most versatile controls to make the images look really HDR.
    - Second best has been Adobe Camera Raw in Lightroom. There is some aliasing on the result though. Less than Resolve probably and much easier to adjust the colors to my liking.
    - Third is libraw with the following settings: /usr/bin/dcraw_emu -4 -T -H 1 -g 2.7 0 -m 19 -n 0 -o 0 -b 1.5 image.dng
    - Fourth is anything else, including Resolve. I like the libraw debayer over Resolve because I get significantly less aliasing with the libraw debayer. However, I potentially lose some detail as well.

I only had a demo version of Lightroom and it already expired so I am not using it anymore.
    The Phase One crashes on my iMac every time on big import. Apparently it runs some GPU code that is buggy on this and boom. I need to use the power switch to
    regain control to the computer. I have been only able to import one image at a time to Phase One without crashing my late 2009 iMac. Phase One probably works better
    on newer computers, haven't tried on my rMBP yet.
    Lets say I'v got a batch of CinemaDNG folders, how to I make them into DNxHD in Phase one?

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    I found the debayering in R9 to be already pretty good, any improvements will be just icing on the cake. Then again, I really need some instructions to eat this cake, it seems to come in a child-proof case I'm completely unable to open...
    (please please please make a 10-hour course for R10 and charge me $100 for downloading it; I will think of it as the actual price of the software, and will probably be quite happy about it)
    COULD NOT AGREE MORE!!! The Resolve PDF is just a menu reference guide - there's absolutely no context. To learn real workflow, you have to search youtube and vimeo and sit through plenty of tutorials and take notes, etc.

Any of you experienced graders want to make some pocket change, write up an eBook of workflow and sell it (Kindle, PDF, whatever). I'd cough up for it.

I am using Capture 1 pro 7 and import hundreds of medium format still raw captures at a time with no problem. The software takes a few minutes to generate the previews while importing but no crashes. I am using a Mac Pro 5.1 machine. I do love the controls, especially the chromatic aberration function and moire reduction, noise reduction and the color editor. I am continually delighted with how much I can pull out of the raw file.
    richklein.com