Thread: ProND2 Now Avail: Hoya ProND Rolling Report Thread

Page 73 of 80 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by vicharris View Post
    You're going to need A LOT more than just a 4 and a 16 man. I'd get at least the 16 and 32 if not the 64 unless you plan to shoot at f11 or something like that.

EDIT: If you can swing it and it's less than 2 Hoya NDs, get this

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...riable_nd.html

And the IR cut. Trust me man.
    hows the flare on the slrmagic? Im switching from the genus eclipse. Man good thing i have the proNDs as alternative. Genus flares like hell.
    Dustin Uy-Filmmaker

Yeah, you're going to need those options.
    I film a lot of winter sports scenes for TV and promo films in bright sunlight and snow, and then things like you're doing in Cacun (Tortola and San Juan recently)...you'll need a range of ND.

And FWIW I've tested and own most all the VNDs and I'm not the only one that has found the Tiffen VND to have the smallest hit on resolution (virtually none).
    I think you can find a video test by D Dugdale testing them and coming to that same conclusion.
    I prefer it over the Genus and it's very inexpensive - a real option with the Hoya IR.

Quote Originally Posted by jimagine View Post
    Yeah, you're going to need those options.
    I film a lot of winter sports scenes for TV and promo films in bright sunlight and snow, and then things like you're doing in Cacun (Tortola and San Juan recently)...you'll need a range of ND.

And FWIW I've tested and own most all the VNDs and I'm not the only one that has found the Tiffen VND to have the smallest hit on resolution (virtually none).
    I think you can find a video test by D Dugdale testing them and coming to that same conclusion.
    I prefer it over the Genus and it's very inexpensive - a real option with the Hoya IR.
    How much ND did you usually need? I think I'm going to get the ND32 and ND8 should be enough if stacking and the ND8 should be fine around sunset

Taking a Vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by NickB View Post
    How much ND did you usually need? I think I'm going to get the ND32 and ND8 should be enough if stacking and the ND8 should be fine around sunset
    I'd really take a look at the SLR Magic Vari ND if they have it. Cheaper than 2 Hoyas, since you're on a budget and you have anything you need. Also unless you're using the new Tiffen IR Vari filter, I'd stay away from the old, cheap version. Plenty of unhappy people with it and BM cameras but like above, some happy. Dougs tests were not with BM cameras so he's not reporting the color cast problems. You're two best bets are the Hoya IR cut and either 2 Hoya ProNDs or the SLR Magic Vari ND.

If you go look at my Fitness Shoot thread, all the outdoor shots were with the Hoya IR cut and SLR Magic Vari ND on the 18-35 at about f2 in raw.

Jimagine, do you have the SLR Magic Vari?

Just received the Hoya's today(ND64&ND8)....And WOW! It like I'm shooting with a different camera outdoors....Now I'm really looking forward to this Cancun trip!

It is, isn't it.
    Congrats and make nice pictures.

Quote Originally Posted by jimagine View Post
    It is, isn't it.
    Congrats and make nice pictures.
    Thanks man! Oh i will

Hi. Cant see any pictures of the Kholi SLR Magic Vari ND tests...
    Can you upload it again, please?

I think i'll buy hoya pro nd 16 and 4... best choice

Quote Originally Posted by vicharris View Post
    I'd really take a look at the SLR Magic Vari ND if they have it.
    Vic, do you know if it's a bokeh-killer like my cheap Fotga below?

Quote Originally Posted by Telecinese View Post
    Ok guys, I finally had enough of my Fotga Fader ND – dirt cheap, handy, not too-horrible color cast or sharpness loss, but very horrible indeed 'dirty' striated bokeh.

(Ladies and gentlemen of a delicate disposition might want to look away now.)
    Attachment 9456

Hoya ProND is the best choice. But for those in need for a VariND due to their shooting needs, the "best choice variND" right now would be SLR Magic, aldoh its still open for discussion