Thread: Help needed with Davinci Resolve setup

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Help needed with Davinci Resolve setup 
    Just picked up a copy of Resolve and I am trying to run it (will be working in 2K and possibly 4K) as well (and as inexpensively) as possible on either of my macs, which are admittedly a bit dated:

2008 Mac Pro 3,1 10GB Ram, ATI Radeon X1900XT

or

2009 MB Pro 5,5 4GB Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB

I know I need to pick up a new graphics card for the Mac Pro, but which one(s)? Thinking of the Radeon 5770 (cheapest option) or do I have to pick up 2 Nvidia cards?

I know there is slim chance with the MB pro (low screen res.) but any suggestions for the Mac Pro or should I just cut my losses and start saving for a new Imac?

Any help appreciated...

Maybe get one of the recommend GPUs in our configuration guide for the 2008 Mac Pro.

Alternatively, the new Mac Pro when that ships, or the 2013 27" iMac with the 4GB GPU RAM option.

Thanks. Does anyone think the radeon 5770 will do the job by itself (I'm assuming no real time functions) or do I need two cards?... The new Mac Pro looks like it's going to be out of my budget. The imac may be an option...

Taking a Vacation
    I had a specced up 2006 mac pro, and a 13" 2011 macbook pro, and Resolve would play on either.

Sold the mac pro and got a late 2012 imac and it works like a dream

Thanks bob. Can u recall your mac pro setup?

I couldn't advise you on graphics cards, but Resolve 10 is working smoothly on my 2012 iMac 3.4Ghz, 27" with Thunderbolt.
    Don't know about Resolve, but most software relies on a decent amount of RAM. I have 12gig on my iMac, and I wouldn't go with the default 4gig.

Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    Thanks. Does anyone think the radeon 5770 will do the job by itself (I'm assuming no real time functions) or do I need two cards?... The new Mac Pro looks like it's going to be out of my budget. The imac may be an option...
    i have the same mac pro with the radeon 5770. playback in resolve 9 with prores is choppy. playback with RAW is even worse. it's not a bad compromise, but you won't get realtime playback. i'm definitely looking for a better card and i'm gravitating towards the GTX 580.

Quote Originally Posted by django View Post
    i have the same mac pro with the radeon 5770. playback in resolve 9 with prores is choppy. playback with RAW is even worse. it's not a bad compromise, but you won't get realtime playback. i'm definitely looking for a better card and i'm gravitating towards the GTX 580.
    Thanks, django. Over here from DVXuser?... I picked up a 5770 and I'm going to give it a shot. Would adding a cheap nvidia card in addition to the radeon help do you think?

Taking a Vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by scorsesefan View Post
    Thanks bob. Can u recall your mac pro setup?
    Believe it was the Nvidia 7300GT.
    Max RAM, SSD etc

On my '08 machine that is running Resolve 9, I have the GT120 and GTX285(Mac Vidcards). No problem with BMCC footage. I keep it in 8-bit mode when coloring. RED and other high end footage is a bit more demanding and YMMV.