Thread: Seagate Thunderbolt Adapter and SSD protocol

1. #1 Seagate Thunderbolt Adapter and SSD protocol 
    I have searched this forum and I have not found an answer. I have just received my Seagate STAE128 Thunderbolt Adapter (SSD docking station) and I want to make sure I am absolutely right in connecting this to my MBP. I don't want to burn out my brand new SanDisk Extreme 480gb SSD. I am not finding any answers from Seagate web page nor any 'how to' videos on the net. Does anyone know or have a link to connecting protocol? Do I dock the SSD THEN plug into MBP or the other way around? Also I'm a little hazy on just exactly how you format these SSD's. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

http://www.adorama.com/SEGSTAE128.html

http://www.sandisk.com/products/ssd/sata/extreme-ii/

I plug in the drive, then plug in the dock. Although, after I eject one drive, I'll take it out and replace it with another, without disconnecting the thunderbolt cable. I haven't had any problems.

Sometimes I connect the drive first, other times the dock first. Never seems to make a difference or cause a problem. I generally just eject the drive, and then pop it off of the dock.

I don't think you can assume all SSDs are designed to be used the way they will be used in the BMD cameras and the external docks. They are designed to be used as internal drives in a computer or in an external RAID for example. Having heard various people experience the occasional problem with sudden failures to recognize the SSD in the camera or in the dock, I would say the most cautious approach may be advisable and that would be to insert the SSD in a device that is not drawing power at that time, rather than into a dock already connected to the MacBook. After inserting the SSD in the dock, then provide power to the SSD dock.

If you are going to use the SSD on a Mac, you are best formatting it in HFS+ using Disk Utility. If the SSD may also be used on Windows, you can format it in exFAT since both Windows and the latest versions of Mac OS X both handle that. It is my understanding you only need do a simple Format, not a secure erase type of format as that may shorten the life of the SSD. Then Eject the SSD volume. Then remove power to the dock. then remove the SSD.

You could follow the same regimen when using the SSD in the camera, i.e. only insert and remove the SSD when the camera has been turned off.

After using the SSD to record your video and then transfer the video to your computer via the dock and make a backup, then you should do a simple Format of the SSD. I know some people don't format it each time after dumping the video to disk but it may be the safest approach.

And a SSD internally is far more complicated than the hard disk technology that we are used to. The internal SSD controller needs a bit of time to do its thing, so just do these steps at a casual pace to give the internal controller a few moments to complete its tasks before you remove power or remove the device.
    Last edited by rick.lang; 08-24-2013 at 10:57 PM.

Connect, then power.

Shut down, then disconnect.

You should do this procedure in camera and in dock. Same with lenses.

If you don't, are you guaranteed a failure? no...but that is the "best practice" technique the SSD and camera manufacturers suggest. So following it might lower your chances of such a failure.