Thread: My SanDisk 480GB died... at the worst time.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 My SanDisk 480GB died... at the worst time. 
    So, yesterday at the zenith of a shoot I'm currently on... involving the destruction of a car and other pricy shots... were captured beautifully on the BMCC. Unfortunately, the SanDisk 480GB which I was forced to use since my 240GB was full, died shortly after we had wrapped. The drive is simply dead... and does not power on and isn't recognizable in a USB enclosure or connected directly via a SATA port on the MB. I have no idea what happened... but this was gut wrenching. I'll be taking the drive to a recovery lab, and hopefully they'll be able to do something for me, but for what it's worth... this drive did not hold up for me.

I'm still a huge fan of the 240GB, and still haven't had a problem with that one.
    Test footage Vimeo page: https://vimeo.com/romanalaivi

Nooooooo. That's really sad and scary to hear.

I've avoided 480s for the most part but had to rent some for a short film because we were all RAW and there weren't enough 240s... was definitely NOT very confident in them.

Hopefully a lab can recover the data. =[

You said it died after you wrapped: was it during offloading? If so, what were you using to offload the data?

SKYPE (best way to talk to me): Camera_Kholi | twitter
    Avery and Pete: Superseeds Feature Film Trailer

Taking a Vacation
    Oh man, sorry to hear that.
    Hope you managed to get the footage off beforehand.

Yikes - yes which dock are you using? I'm currently using the Seagate Thunderbolt desktop dock and it makes me nervous the way my 480GB Sandisk is precariously mounted without a secure enclosure....makes me wonder if the contacts are going to get worn out over time.

Ouch. Oh man, that's terrible. I hope you can get the data recovered.

What's also scary is that the 240 v1 and the 480 v1 seem to be discontinued now and the v2 models are the only ones that are going to be available soon. Hopefully the 240 v2 drives are stable.

It is scary... and I won't be using larger SSD's for a little while now. It's just too much risk I think.

More details:

I format this drive about once after about every 3 or so offloads. I've offloaded this drive approximately 20 times during its life. It's the original SanDisk Extreme (SDSSDX-480G).
    I'm guessing it's a power issue. I always power off the BMCC and then retrieve the drive.

I attempted to access the drive approximately 1 hour after it was used to capture footage. At that point it was still labeled in "ready" status on the BMCC UI. It was accessed with a blac-x USB enclosure but it did not initialize at any point. It doesn't show up in the BIOS or in Drive Management in Windows.

It suuuuuuuuuuucks... and this is a brutal way to learn not to use this particular drive.. but I'm hoping the footage is recoverable.

Quote Originally Posted by Fresno Bob View Post
    Oh man, sorry to hear that.
    Hope you managed to get the footage off beforehand.
    As of right now, the only thing I have is an iphone video of my BMCC LCD of a couple great shots which I texted to friends... it's a pretty sad deal.

Does the BMC still read the drive?

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Glencairn View Post
    Does the BMC still read the drive?
    Nope, it shows it as "not ready", but that doesn't indicate whether or not the BMCC is actually recognizing a drive of some kind... it just means that suitable media is not currently available for recording.

I'm guessing the problem must have come up either when retrieving the drive from the BMCC or as it connected to the dock.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    As of right now, the only thing I have is an iphone video of my BMCC LCD of a couple great shots which I texted to friends... it's a pretty sad deal.
    Heartache... i feel for you Roman. I'll keep my fingers crossed that the lab technicians work some magic to recover your files.