Thread: New rig on kickstarter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 New rig on kickstarter 
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...cinema-cameras

That blackmagic they used on their promo video + facebook page is my MFT model (since I was the closest person with a BMC).
    But during the time of the shoot we were allowed to test out the Rhino Rig (no endorsement here, I don't have a rig and don't plan on getting one soon due to what I do, though I did buy their rhinoslider pro which is fantastic), and its feels great. The thing I notice most is that it looks more premium with the black finish than other comparable rigs. In addition, I like the modular design since if I did get a rig I would not put the blackmagic the way they put in the video (personal preference).

They're looking for some feedbacks for future updates therefore if you guys post some here they'll most likely take a gander.
    One thing I told them is that no one has come out yet (I've heard some interesting rumors though) with a good, CHEAP EVF mount. My alphatron twists with cheap magic arms and the edelkrone is $200+.
    www.lightformfilm.com
    https://vimeo.com/suwanchote

follow me on instagram @lightformfilm

I will most likely be getting this, since I have a Rhino Slider Pro, and love it. However, not having it until Jan 2014 kind of sucks. Since they are bigger now, I thought they were going to be faster this time (it's already been months of hype for July)

Interesting design, however I do think it's a bit front heavy; If the shoulder brace is adaptable to 15mm rods, with long enough rods you could probably shoulder balance it, which is what I do with all my rigs. thanks for sharing though, looks sturdy and nice. Looks like they've met their goal on kickstarter, which is good news.

Digging the adaptable handles though.

Quote Originally Posted by wreck2 View Post
    I will most likely be getting this, since I have a Rhino Slider Pro, and love it. However, not having it until Jan 2014 kind of sucks. Since they are bigger now, I thought they were going to be faster this time (it's already been months of hype for July)
    Agreed! I'm wondering when they'd start on the motorized head for the slider? From what I've gathered they are still really small which is great because all the guys were relaxed and friendly

Quote Originally Posted by k0bayashi View Post
    Interesting design, however I do think it's a bit front heavy; If the shoulder brace is adaptable to 15mm rods, with long enough rods you could probably shoulder balance it, which is what I do with all my rigs. thanks for sharing though, looks sturdy and nice. Looks like they've met their goal on kickstarter, which is good news.

Digging the adaptable handles though.
    I wish I had one to give it an extensive whirl but the prototype (it was not the final version that we held) felt pretty good though I won't guess how much weight has changed on the final manufacturing version.
    One thing is that my alphatron didn't arrive in time (without any EVF, it is UNUSABLE in sunlight or really any situation) and I wanted to see how adding an evf mount changes the handling since I've used some rigs where it frustrating to use the eyepiece because of a variety of factors
    www.lightformfilm.com

There's no counter balance on this rig...so this looks like it'll be pretty front heavy. Unless they somehow distribute the weight.... Is there a way to add weights to this thing?
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    There's no counter balance on this rig...so this looks like it'll be pretty front heavy. Unless they somehow distribute the weight.... Is there a way to add weights to this thing?
    This. I hate rigs that are not counter weighted. My franken-rig, while somewhat practical, still is most comfortable with counterweights. All these rigs without counter weights look extremely front heavy. I don't know how people can use them!

Quote Originally Posted by PeopleCanFly View Post
    This. I hate rigs that are not counter weighted. My franken-rig, while somewhat practical, still is most comfortable with counterweights. All these rigs without counter weights look extremely front heavy. I don't know how people can use them!
    There will be a counterweight for the Rhino Rig! We talk about it in the campaign at the bottom of the page and We'll make a video next week about the "front-heaviness" and how all the of modularity actually allows you to place the rig very close to your shoulder.
    Thanks for engaging those people on the forum, we love the word getting out. We have pictures of the BMCC on rhinorig.tumblr.com
    I'll make sure you know when we release the videos and what not.
    Sam
    www.lightformfilm.com

Rhino customer support sucks. After the whole slider thing, I'm never going to buy their products again. The slider was super late, don't expect to get this in Jan...

There is already some great low cost rigs out there, Tilta and Lanparte have you covered.

Most of those rig makers got it all wrong. They all front heavy or have a huge scaffolding in the back with weigts.

It can be so easy. Here is my "Shouldercat" configuration - almost feels like an Aaton.
    Usually I also have handgrips and a FF on it. It's so well balanced that it stays in place, even without hands.

Personally I prefer low slung rigs, cause I get a better eyeline (at least for my taste - hat the typical ENG eyeline)

large.jpg

I agree with Frank. Keep it simple and balanced. Plus, Franks "shoulder cat" is ready to plop on the tripod or hand off to the AC.

Or see how the big boys go shoulder mount: