Thread: 2 BMCs, beamsplitter= Ultra wide?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 2 BMCs, beamsplitter= Ultra wide? 
    The title says it all.

This camera has what we need except that wide 35 or super 35 look.

I had an idea from my trying to design a beam splitter for 3D days...

My research from then though taught me that one of the cameras because of shooting through a mirror comes out slightly "lesser" than the other camera.

Can anyone else contribute to this idea?

Could it work. If it did then the extra unwanted space could be cropped in post and the two sources joined.

Am I dreaming or could this be a possible way to "hack" a wider image from the BMC.

Cheers

how wide do you want to be? An 8mm (like the Sigma) gives you a FOV equivalent to an 18mm lens on full frame. When and why would you actually go wider than this?

Or do I misunderstand something here?

Why not use an Anamorphic lens ?, easier than dealing with a cumbersome beam splitter rig, synchronizing the cameras and dealing with some splicing software ?

If you insist, then just do it like the Cinerama in the 1950s, shoot with three BMC cameras lined up side by side and project the final project with three projectors lined up side by side

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cinerama

My idea behind this is simply the bmc gives us an convincing alexa look but at only a few thousand bucks but is hampered in my opinion with small 16mm look..

If the BMC was as wide as what high end systems could achieve then it would be an amazing camera for us guys trying to achieve a high end cinematic look. I could for the price of 2 BMC's and some on top for everything else have what is only barley offered by the scarlet camera as the next indie budget contender.

To shoot anamorphic at the high end is costly and for us with indie budgets in mind just can't be done.. Lomos or similar are out of the question. BMC's native look though with bog standard lenses to me looks very filmic and it's just the frame size which puts me off.

I understand the logistics of beam splitting but in comparison with a full 3D work flow "could" be a breeze in the park.

What you guys think?
    Thanks for the link.

It'll basically work, but not like you think it will. You want a single, perfect viewpoint, but in order to achieve it you'll have two cameras pointing in different directions. This will result in differing perspectives in each camera, each with a different vanishing point. You'll have to warp the images where they meet to get the common imagery to overlap and blend properly. Even then, you'll be introducing distortions that you can't remove.

As was mentioned, this idea is basically Cinerama with two cameras instead of three. Watch a Cinerama film to see how successful the process is, and I think you'll be disappointed.

Of course, all of this is moot as there is no way to guarantee frame accurate sync between the two cameras.

Well thanks for all the thoughts... Seem like it wouldn't be worth the hassle even to try.. hopefully blackmagic come out with something great on their next camera.

technically, yes.

if your using full frame lens, you could use 35mm lens, and create profiles for the 2 or 3 lens you use, and use a program like Photoshop to correct the image and join the images though actions, and you don't need a beam splitter or loose any light, you can just level(one or two axis) and align(one axis) both cameras, and it will give you an image that would need to be cropped to the aspect ratio your after.

you can also use a beam splitter, but it would be much bigger, and you loose light, so it's not that wise, and it would be harder to focus without motors and computers and lens profiles while shooting.

i would not recommend either.

- what you want to do can be done with an 8mm lens already mentioned in the thread, and extreme wide shots don't have any space constraints on where you can put the camera, if it's not wide enough, go further backwards or up for the shot.
    - the percentage of extreme wide shots in a feature is not big enough for all that hassle
    - extreme wide shots are never demanding in resolution or color reproduction, you can use any dslr for those shots
    - a wide shot is not what's missing from the camera to make it look like s35 or full-frame sensor

You'd need perfect sync between the two, which is technically not possible with BMCC. Neither they are well advised for Stereo-3D.

You'd need perfect sync between the two, which is technically not possible with BMCC. Neither they are well advised for Stereo-3D.
    his talking about wide shots, the idea of wide shots is that you get a wide fov, more of the world, things don't usually cross the entire screen on wide shots, because things are usually really small in a wide shot. it would take too much time to see something cross one part of the screen and then the overlapping part(up to 25%) and then crossing over to the other camera space in the same shot. it's not like 3d requirements. it's sill a bad idea, but just not for the sync problem.

I wonder how hard it would be to put something in the firmware which will enable sync between cameras.