Thread: Why is there so much FCPX support?

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Why is there so much FCPX support? 
    Please any FCP users don't get angry with me here. I stopped using FCP once X began, like many others and like many others moved to Adobe Pr. So, why is there still so much talk about FCPX? I was under the impression that FCPX has gone the way of iMovie only better? I'm seriously not trying to stir any crap, seriously. Just wondering why I don't here about more native Adobe and Avid stuff for the BMCC? Those programs seem more pro. Should I take a second look at FCPX these days?

I'm not sure what you mean by FCPX support? In which way does it get more support and by whom?

Isn't Premiere the only NLE that supports DNGs?

Well, I see so much about FCPX articles in relation to the BMCC, etc. Just seems to be a mis-match for the BMCC.

Quote Originally Posted by RockettMan View Post
    Well, I see so much about FCPX articles in relation to the BMCC, etc. Just seems to be a mis-match for the BMCC.
    Despite the fact that you can enter Metadata on the Camera that imports straight into FCPX? A lot of rubbish is spoken about FCPX, it IS a fully featured professional NLE that works VERY well with BMD ProRes files as well as excellent xml export to Resolve (better than PPro). I've been using it for almost 2 years on a range of Productions including cutting a feature film on it. BTW None of the NLE's offer native BMD RAW support yet

My company uses FCPX, it's fast and makes life pretty easy in a few different ways. It's far less technical than FCP7 which helps our editor who is more interested in story than tech.

The first FCPX version was irritating, but they fixed pretty much everything I the most recent update. Awesome program, I highly recommend it.

Oh, and for the record, we have FCPX, FCP7, the latest adobe suite with Premier, Edius... and still we choose FCPX and Davinci to edit and grade.

- Darren

Dare I say it; there was a certain amount of... hysteria... when FCPX was first released. Some of it involved very legitimate concerns, and some of it was resistance to change.

Given that FCP7 still worked fine, and wasn't being actively confiscated from anyone's desktop, there may have been just a tiny bit of overreaction.

I still use FCP7 for most of my editing. But there are some interesting plugins that are only available on the FCPX platform, and for some projects, I find FCPX to be speedy and fun. I've made a point of working with it from time to time, just to make sure I'm keeping up with things. To paraphrase Mark Twain, reports of FCP's death have been greatly exaggerated.

You should revisit final cut x again if you want to be pleasantly surprised. I bought it when it first came out and hated it, it took me about a year to come back to it and by that time apple updated the programme to make it at last very usable(they still update on a regular basis, obviously listening to user feedback about what needs to be done to make it more professional), I also use the Adobe creative suite but I am more and more coming back to final cut x and I use it all the time when I am editing on location.
    So what I'm saying is, "yeah, give it a try"!

Senior Member Paul Stephen Edwards's Avatar
    I'm a recent FCPX convert. I've been using FCP Studio 2 up until recently. I spent about half an hour fighting the program when I first started... but then everything clicked into place. It's definitely a new way to work, but I'm really starting to appreciate it. It's a perfect match for the BMCC when shooting ProRes.

Senior Member Peter J. DeCrescenzo's Avatar
    I'm still using FCP 7, but once Nick Shaw's plug-in for FCPX is released, I might make the switch to FCPX.

However, I'm not looking forward to learning FCPX's "new" way of editing. At all. So, before making a final decision, I'll take another look at Premiere, too.

I think the reaction to FCPX was completely reasonable and justified; the fact that software that many companies (an whole industry, almost) had based their entire workflow on had just been end-of-lifed was not a small thing.

I switched to Premiere, love it, and now have zero interest in FCPX. However, I do know several production companies here in the UK that swear by FCPX and use it in all their suites. It seems that most of the concerns with FCPX have now been fixed with updates, so I can understand why it's gaining support.