Thread: Update on PC built to Blackmagic specs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Update on PC built to Blackmagic specs. 
    12 core i7 OC 4.3Ghz
    64 Gb RAM
    2x EVGA GTX 570s with 2.5 GB RAM
    Blackmagic Design Intensity Pro
    ASUS P9x79 Pro Motherboard

This machine screams through DSLR footage. The Noise Reduction is nice.

Currently working on 5K Red footage and getting 2.5 - 5 fps rendering a 4096x1716 16 bit TIFFs, two hours rendering 15 min timeline. Not realtime performance but should be expected. NOT designed for 5K.

I'd feel comfortable working on 2.5K DNGs with this system and would expect real-time performance on 2K timeline with fast RAID.

Senior Member Paul Stephen Edwards's Avatar
    Nice!!

Lol, 2 hours for 15 min video with this awesome hardware.

4K is giving me an education. The 4K WS 16 bit Tiffs take up a Tb on their own, so 2 hours for a Terabyte of footage is not so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Ferrell View Post
    12 core i7 OC 4.3Ghz

I'd feel comfortable working on 2.5K DNGs with this system and would expect real-time performance on 2K timeline with fast RAID.
    I think the Hard disk speed would be the major bottle neck here. Everything else could easily carry the BMC raw footage.

Why two GTX 570s? Couldn"t you use a simpler one for the interface?

About 10 years ago I was still in college and shared a room with a guy who studied computer science. I would go around town picking up 2nd hand parts from people I found on the internet, we would build the hardware part together, and then he would install the OS. Those were good times. Now I just buy a Mac, but spend a hell of a lot more!

5K just sounds insane to me. Only now I realised that 2,5K versus full HD is actually quite a bit of difference. 4K or 5K just seems like such a huge step!

Yeah, my hackintosh *just* has a single gtx580 1.5GB and renders out 'simple' grades of BMCC raw at 30-40fps (depending on grade complexity etc). I get a slowdown when i use NR obviously but i still get at least realtime with NR and a couple of blurs. Just a simple i7 2600k@stock speed too.
    I wondered about the 2 570's as well since resolve will just use one for the UI and the other for GPU.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

I have two for Resolve and I also use Adobe products with are GPU accelerated too. I get realtime performance with NR on 1080 footage. I built the computer for the Cinema Camera but have yet to find some footage to really test it with. I didn't buy the EF I had preordered but am looking at the MFT. Also, I'd like to work as a colorist in realtime. Onlining in After Effects with a 9500GT was a chore.

I kind of have a "lite" version of your setup - still P9X79 Pro, but with a i7 3820 (quad-core) @ 4.3GHz, 16GB RAM, a GTX570 2.5GB for GPU, and an older GT440 2GB for GUI. Works realtime with BMC footage, provided I'm reading off an SSD, rather than an HDD. Rendering proxies out at ~40fps.

Red footage is where I wish I had a beefier CPU (or a Rocket!). 1/4 res realtime (1080 project), 1/2 res at like 12ish fps.

Your system should be dealing with the Red footage a little better - maybe disk write speed is your bottleneck with those TIFFs? Maybe test with something like ProRes/DNX just to see.

I think so. I need a paying client onboard to upgrade the drives. I was hoping to get by with eSATA. A RedRocket would be great but I'm not sure if I'll be working with Red footage that much. 1/4 Res in PP is fine although next time we're going with proxies.

Yeah, a Rocket is more than I can swallow right now. I'm considering upgrading to a 3930K (or similar Ivy Bridge-E CPU when those drop) in the hopes of getting at least real time at 1/2 res good (if not premium). Proxies are certainly still a good workflow - that way your CPU isn't crying while you're editing.

As for BMC, any RAW stuff is gonna really need fast drives. My single WD Black 2TB can pull the DNGs at 20-22fps, bottlenecking the GPU for renders. My workaround while I wait on upgrading to a RAID is reading off of my 2x 240GB Sandisk SSDs I use for camera mags - I put this guy in the 3.5" bay on the front of my tower to act as a "card reader" for my SSDs. This gets me up to 60fps max.