Thread: Buying a Lens Set for MFT - Rokinon VS SLR Magic

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I have no expertise with the SLR Magic line; I have no opinion or info to offer there.

I do really love my 8mm Samyang fisheye, even though it has the well-known characteristic barrel distortion. I will be buying their 10mm rectilinear prime that's supposed to be coming out Real Soon Now. I can't wait!

I have coverage with other lenses in the rest of the range, but I've heard that the other Samyangs/Rokinons are great values. That's my contribution. Not a nay for SLR Magic, but a +1 for Samyang/Rokinon.

Quote Originally Posted by mintcheerios View Post
    The SLR Magic 35mm T1.4 is a great choice if you don't need repeatable focusing, but for people who need it, the 0.95 looks like a much better choice. I thought the 1.4 wide open was slightly soft, but 2.0 is fast and sharp enough for me anyways. According to lenstip, the Samyang 35mm is sharper than the Nikon and Sony equivalents (but softer than Canon L) which is good enough for me. I'll see for sure when I get my copy.

I don't plan to use any of these lenses at 1.4 though, so those apertures to me are for emergencies only. With the Metabones Speed Booster and Samyangs, I'll be able to get a sharp F2.0, which will be fast enough for 99% of the situations (especially with the BMC's 800 native iso). I'll also have F1.0 available if all my lights blow up on set.

Also, the Speed Booster will give the BMC a near-S35 DOF, which normally isn't that important to me, but for the BMC I think it is. When you have a smaller sensor, you have to open up the iris more to compensate for the deeper DOF. This means in bright daylight, you'll need heavier ND filtration. This is not a problem normally with DSLRs since the lowest ISO usually yields the most dynamic range, but if you want all 13 stops on the BMCC, you'll need to be at its native ISO of 800 (and daylight is where 13 stops is the most useful I feel). This means you'll need even more ND to get the equal DOF you got with your M43 camera (about 3 stops more). Since the BMC is quite prone to far red, I want to use as little ND as possible, even if I can use IRNDs.

Lastly, having the Speed Booster gives me two focal lengths per lens. I just have to take the adapter off or on depending on which I want. Not crucial, but it's nice to have extra options.

These are some reasons why I went with the MFT/Nikon Metabones route, and of course they won't apply to everyone. One thing I do miss with this setup is the controlled breathing of the SLR Magics. They're the only company in this price range that even cares about this. You can see a comparison I made here: http://vimeo.com/56969614
    Thanks for the info

That breathing test is really interesting - the SLR Magic's perform really well there, big difference.
    My Official Blackmagic Micro Footage: https://vimeo.com/155747487

Quote Originally Posted by Kholi View Post
    So like one or two things here:

The Rokinon's IMO are too soft wide open for Blackmagic. The further you dig out of the center of those lenses the more apparent it becomes. You can check Juan's tests, they show just how terribly soft they are at 1.4. You need to get to 2.8 before they really start to make a difference. If you don't care about the hazy 1.4/1.5 then it's fine. I have issues with that, honestly can't stand it. But I know there are some cinema lenses that perform similary and hey, it is what it is.
    If a Rokinon/Samyang lens was stepped-down to T2.8, and then you added the Speed Booster (so T2), do you get the depth of field of T2.8 or T2?

I really, really cannot make up my mind on this - SLR Magic set, or a Rokinon/Samyang set in Nikon-F mount with Speed Booster...goings nuts

Taking a Vacation
    sorry to go all common sense on you people but no body needs to decided between the SLR magic primes or other lenses they may or not put on the MFT version cause well they haven't started selling it. And when they do you can look at footage others have done and make your mind up from there. I understand the issue though, I'm in the same boat. But I have to see how well the Speedbooster work with relatively cheap lenses. Another obvious thing is you can go both directions and have SLR as well as a few cheap lenses with the SB. But one thing I think is a fallacy to this issue is the idea of future proofing with lenses. Sure some lose value but generally they don't and some even increase in value so ebay is always there if you choose a new direction.

I know what you're saying, but I'm trying to get a set ready so that I can begin shooting right away when my MFT BMCC lands. In Australia, nobody sells the cine versions of the Samyang/Rokinons, nor does anyone sell SLR Magic lenses - whenever I purchase from B&H or Adorama, it usually takes two-weeks minimum for my order to arrive here.

Taking a Vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon Shasha View Post
    I know what you're saying, but I'm trying to get a set ready so that I can begin shooting right away when my MFT BMCC lands. In Australia, nobody sells the cine versions of the Samyang/Rokinons, nor does anyone sell SLR Magic lenses - whenever I purchase from B&H or Adorama, it usually takes two-weeks minimum for my order to arrive here.

Dude we dont know when the MFT version will ship and even when they do you don't know when you will get one. The speed booster has a time constraint as well, you have no ideas when exactly you will have one in your sweaty hands. Can understand your impatience, just not your logic at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by bowman View Post
    Dude we dont know when the MFT version will ship and even when they do you don't know when you will get one. The speed booster has a time constraint as well, you have no ideas when exactly you will have one in your sweaty hands. Can understand your impatience, just not your logic at this point.
    Well, according to some bloke in Norway, soon: http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/vi...art=290#p29382

God knows how true that is though. Seems too good to be true if you ask me.

The problem for me with the SLR Magic lenses is that I can't use them with a SpeedBooster to get around the extreme 3x crop of my BMPCC like I can with EF mount lenses. SLR Magic doesn't make any of their cine lenses with an EF or EF-S mount.

I'm hoping Sigma's non-too-subtle hints about offering cine lenses in the future will become reality soon (at NAB would be good!). A Sigma ART Cine line would be most welcome by me.

Kind of surprised no one brought up the Veydra's as a point of reference. The first glass clearly targeted to the MFT sensor circle. I know, not in your price range and not available in time but as a point of reference might be worth a look.

Taking a Vacation
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrington View Post
    Kind of surprised no one brought up the Veydra's as a point of reference. The first glass clearly targeted to the MFT sensor circle. I know, not in your price range and not available in time but as a point of reference might be worth a look.
    It's because this was a 2 year old thread that tyger11 revived.