Thread: Gen 4 color science on OG bmpcc

1. #1 Gen 4 color science on OG bmpcc 
    Hey everyone!

So on the OG BMPCC when you shoot in raw you have the option in the most recent version of davinci to use gen 4 color science and it makes using the bmpcc as a secondary camera with the bmpcc4k much easier. My question is is there some kind of lut that anyone knows of that essentially does that same “color space conversion” so I can shoot prores on the OG bmpcc.

I have a big shoot coming up and we’re going to shoot a lot of interviews and I really don’t want to chew through that much memory shooting cdng raw lol! Never thought I would say that and it’s only 1080!!

Thanks

I never heard of a LUT that does this the way you describe.
    It would be awesome if the OG BMPCC could record 3:1 Raw.

Quote Originally Posted by gfagien View Post
    Hey everyone!

So on the OG BMPCC when you shoot in raw you have the option in the most recent version of davinci to use gen 4 color science …
    The option is there but it was not meant to be used with the OG BMPCC. I believe the color will not be correct with CinemaDNG.

Screenshot from 2019-11-05 01-57-45.jpg

Just do a color space transformation?
    My website:
    www.55media.net

Switch between gen1 and gen 4 works only with DNG RAW and only if project settings set to YRGB. In addition you need to use CST node with color space gen input as you set in RAW tab. Here is quick setup example:

All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Quote Originally Posted by shijan View Post
    Switch between gen1 and gen 4 works only with DNG RAW and only if project settings set to YRGB. In addition you need to use CST node with color space gen input as you set in RAW tab. Here is quick setup example:

Thank you!! I just picked up an OG Pocket for the 4th time. I keep trying to say goodbye but it always pulls me back haha. I've been very interested in this exact process.

Quote Originally Posted by MurtlandPhoto View Post
    Thank you!! I just picked up an OG Pocket for the 4th time. I keep trying to say goodbye but it always pulls me back haha. I've been very interested in this exact process.
    I had my first bmpcc a couple of years ago, sold it and got the 2.5k. Recently I bought a used one and again, I really like it.
    Sure, my Pocket 4K can do a lot more, but the look of the original pocket as well as the 2.5k is amazing.

You can't use a single LUT or the Colour Space Transform plugin to transform from Gen 1 to Gen 4 for all colour temperatures - the CST plugin will work accurately for a single white balance setting only (Resolve team apparently selected 6000K).

The DNG workflow however will accurately transform for all colour temperatures if you select Gen 4 in the RAW decode tab.

If you happen to shoot 6000K for your interviews then ProRes will be okay, but the further away you get the more incorrect the transform will be. If you shoot at 3200K for instance it will be very wrong.
    Blackmagic Design
    My BMD LUTs.

**Any post by me prior to Aug 2014 was before i started working for Blackmagic**

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
    You can't use a single LUT or the Colour Space Transform plugin to transform from Gen 1 to Gen 4 for all colour temperatures - the CST plugin will work accurately for a single white balance setting only (Resolve team apparently selected 6000K).

The DNG workflow however will accurately transform for all colour temperatures if you select Gen 4 in the RAW decode tab.

If you happen to shoot 6000K for your interviews then ProRes will be okay, but the further away you get the more incorrect the transform will be. If you shoot at 3200K for instance it will be very wrong.
    Thank you for this info! Ok so good to know I basically do need to stick with cdng then. Thanks everyone for the help with this I guess if I ever shoot 6000k I can do prores with not as bad of a penalty .

Using a color space transform will destroy a lot of the latitude and flexibility in your image and is unnecessary. Just set your raw metadata and grade away. It doesn't matter if you use the original color science or Version 4, although version 4 is more balanced.

My typical raw workflow if I'm not doing hard looks is to bring color science to v4, adjust tint and temp, highlight recovery, adjust exposure. Primary grade consists of simply adding some contrast and saturation.

I would never shoot prores on the original pocket sensor unless I absolutely had to. The tint on these cameras is like 25 off and there is no way (to my knowledge) to adjust it in camera. Even uncompressed cdng in 1080p is lightweight, and the old sd cards that these cameras take are cheap cheap cheap.