Thread: Color shift at different F stops

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Vari ND filters control the balance of polarized light interference. Since you can’t control which light waves are polarized, Vari ND filters will always mess with color balance no matter how good they are. It’s the nature of the design. If one hue is polarized, and you start removing that polarized light, it’s essentially the same as moving the color wheel in the opposite direction.

Standard ND filters just lower the amount of light overall, have nothing to do with polarization and are much more consistent.

Variable NDs are a no go. Unfortunately.

Would be convenient, but for the reason you experienced, I find them to be a world of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by david evans View Post
    Hey John. Thanks for helping. It's a variable ND from Heliopan. After reading a lot of reviews, I ended up buying it because a lot of the reviews stated it had no color cast. I'll try to do a comparison to see at what point in the rotation the red shift becomes apparent.

Yeah. Ok.

Variable NDs are convenience with a price.

The price is resolution loss and colour shifts that CHANGE.

JB

Thanks guys. I know how a variable ND works and I've resisted them for many years. But they are very convenient in certain jobs and I've read the Heliopan VariND had no color shift or loss of resolution. So I decided to take a chance. Philip Bloom had this to say about the Heliopan: " I tried it on my Tokina 11-16 at 11mm on the T3i and only the very corners showed signs of vignetting. It’s tack sharp with no colour shift that I can see!!"

Apparently it has color shift when taken to its limits. Ok for run and gun, but definitely not ok for narrative and more critical work.

Cheers
    Last edited by david evans; 10-25-2019 at 08:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by david evans View Post
    Thanks guys. I know how a variable ND works and I've resisted them for many years. But they are very convenient in certain jobs and I've read the Heliopan VariND had no color shift or loss of resolution. So I decided to take a chance. Philip Bloom had this to say about the Heliopan: " I tried it on my Tokina 11-16 at 11mm on the T3i and only the very corners showed signs of vignetting. It’s tack sharp with no colour shift that I can see!!"

Apparently it has color shift when taken to its limits. Ok for run and gun, but definitely not ok for narrative and more critical work.

Cheers
    Any variable ND that claims to have no color shift is lying. I've never seen a variable ND that has no color shift.