Thread: BMPCC 6K shuts down

1. #1 BMPCC 6K shuts down 
    I just received my BMPCC 6K. I used a Sandisk Extreme Pro C-Fast card. I have a few replacement LP-E6 batteries (Kastar and Floureon brands) that I use on my monitors so I tried one of them on. It had about 60% charge so I used it. When I turn on the camera, about 20-30 secs later of recording, it shut down. I thought it was the card since I have stop recording on drop frame. I turned that off. It still shut down. I used the AC adapter and tried it with the battery in the camera. After a minute, it shut down again. I was baffled and concern if there's something wrong with the camera. I took out the battery and just plug it using the adapter. I was able to use record for a good 3 minutes without it shutting down. I didn't think the BMD battery that came with it was charge but I decided to put it on. It has apparently a decent charge. I set the camera to film at 6K 3:1 BRAW and record it. With the BMD battery I was able to record 3 minutes without stopping and it did not shutdown. I still had about 75% left.

So right now I am concluding that the shutdown issue was attributed by the replacement brand battery. Did anyone who got their BMP6K experience similar issues?

If it is the battery, do I just get the original Canon or the BMD brand as opposed to a cheaper replacement brand? What replacement brands have been tested to work with the BMP6K?

The batteries come with about 30% charge

Quote Originally Posted by Ryanite View Post
    The batteries come with about 30% charge
    Not sure which battery you are referencing. If it is the BMD battery with the camera, it showed to be full when I put it on the camera. After about 4 mins of filming, it showed 3/4 of the icon grayed (or about 75% of the icon showing it still has that much juice).

I have similar experience with the BMPCC 4K. The BMD battery and Canon OEM works best, other batteries can shutdown even if it initially show high charges. I cant recall what the voltage were but the battery has to sustain above certain voltage so if it falls below it shut the camera down.

At least it's not going up in smoke.

I just watched a youtube video where a guy said his buddies 6k started to smoke while he was shooting a wedding.

Not a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWlover View Post

I just watched a youtube video where a guy said his buddies 6k started to smoke while he was shooting a wedding.

Not a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWlover View Post

Not a good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Asyndeton View Post
    Don't worry, RAWlover is just drawing tales out of his nose.
    Just put him onto your ignore list like I did. I promise you won't miss any noteworthy from him as he is just a misogynistic character who does not contribute anything positive to the community.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    I have a few replacement LP-E6 batteries (Kastar and Floureon brands) that I use on my monitors so I tried one of them on. It had about 60% charge so I used it. When I turn on the camera, about 20-30 secs later of recording, it shut down.
    Yes, it's the NN batteries.

Just do yourself a favor and buy a couple of LP-E6N. Yes, they are 3x as expensive... for a reason.

I sense a string of replies to this by users who name one obscure brand after the next and they'll 'swear by them'. They'll say brand NN is using "the same cells as Canon". They'll "prove" it. Ignore them all. And enjoy your P6K.