Thread: The Feiyu AK4500 - A gorilla gimbal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 The Feiyu AK4500 - A gorilla gimbal 
    I have been looking for a gimbal that will not only carry the BMPCC 6K but also the UMP G2 (stripped down and with only the lens), because I don't want to get a Ronin M or Moza Pro for reasons like price and lugging during travel. After so much research, I learned a couple of things. The 3 major gimbal - Ronin S, Zhiyun Crane 3 Lab, and Mosa Air 2 are pretty much the de facto for DSLR and BMP4/6K that is marketed heavily to prosumers and professional alike. However there is this small third group of what I will call true "gimbal users" - those who do a lot of gimbal work - effectively the gimbal experts. And if you look closely at what is common among those "gimbal users", their number one gimbal is the Feiyu AK4500.

What's a Feiyu? I never have heard of it. Well, it's this gimbal that is apparently really hardcore. Users who owns it throughs a lot of weight on them and the damn thing just takes it. It's a DSLR style gimbal but with some optional accessories and slightly moded, you can load it up with even a mid-level cinema camera like the RED scarlet or raven, the Panasonic EVA-1, or similar camera. I haven't found one showing it tested with the UMP but at 5 lbs (plus a Sigma Art lens bringing it to about 7 lbs), it is still under the max payload weight of 10.1 lbs). I'm intrigue. Every YT video I saw gives sterling reviews of it. There are some cons but they're workable - but in general the reviews are positive and much better than the other 3 famous contenders.

I'm curious if anyone here owns the gimbal and have a UMP that they tried it with. I'm going to order one soon and see what the hoopla is about. If it does not work, I'll return it. Hope it works.

BTW, check out this videos.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4K2-N7p2riQ
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pxbnqc4Am4U
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Kwww3gdJ4Y

Did you read the B&H review?

Yes I did. Probably just a bad copy which he should have been able to return or exchange. I think every gimbal has some shortcoming or cons - even the DJI Ronin-S with reports of motor vibrations. The Moza Air 2 has a lot of complains about the grip cover to slip off. There was a pan issue with the AK4500 in one of the reviews but the reviewer said it was because he overloaded the gimbal with a lot of weight and Feiyu support had helped him resolve it. So I'll probably have to stress test it out when I get and hope I done get a bad copy. I have 30 days to return it. Any issues should act up within that amount of time.

Of more concern to me is the weight of the UMP G2 and because I have yet to find a test video of it. It is slightly heavier that the RED Scarlett and the Panny EVA-1 (anywhere from 1 to 2 libs), and the depth is deeper. However it's been shown to fit perfectly on the Pocket 4/6K.

I had a Moza Air 2 for about 2 weeks. Sent it back. I think these single hand gimbals are really too much for a G2 camera. My C200 wasn't very stable on the Moza. And a G2 BM is about twice as big.

I think the gimbals that have a full size square tubular frame are much better for cinema size cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWlover View Post
    I had a Moza Air 2 for about 2 weeks. Sent it back. I think these single hand gimbals are really too much for a G2 camera. My C200 wasn't very stable on the Moza. And a G2 BM is about twice as big.

I think the gimbals that have a full size square tubular frame are much better for cinema size cameras.
    I'm getting the ring tubular frame with the AK4500. So the battery will not be mounted on the G2 but on the frame. I'll probably have to strip the camera to baritone body and a light lens. When I get it and try it for size, I'll report back.

Will be curious what you think.
    I had the lab 3 but sent it back - man was it heavy.
    I make narrative features and do a lot of walk/talk shots - sometimes long walk/talk scenes and the weight of the gimbal with black magic pocket 4k killed my arms.
    About to pull the trigger on the ronin-s and the steadimate-s new vest for it. I need to be able to do don juan shots - which I'm hoping I will be able to do with this rig.
    No videos exist yet of this set up in real world with don juan - so waiting for those to appear.

I get using this for the BMPCC6K, for a short time, but it seems like it would be murder on your arm to use a G2 on it.

Why not use something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00JE6LZH8..._9tFODbX1VXT1P

I think you'd be better off investing in something with a vest and arm to relieve the weight for your G2. I ditched my original Ronin after using the UM4K on it a few times just because the weight made it too difficult to operate for long periods of time and I wasn't willing to invest another sum of money on an Easy Rig or something. I can't imagine what that body on a stick gimbal will feel like even after a couple minutes. I'd file it under, yeah, you can probably do that, but would you really want to? That said, I'm happy with the P4K on the Crane 2, the weight isn't too much for long periods of use.

I think the combination of a gimbal and vest might be the best.

Or one of those crazy looking vests with the arm that goes over your head and has a cable.

It starts to look wonky, but might be the best solution on a budget.

I have used a Steadycam with an arm and a vest but never got the hang of it. I agree that a gimbal alone would kill your wrist and arm with a G2. That is why I'm getting a dual arm ring with it so that both arms and hands can be use to carry the weight.

I used a Ronin M with a ring and an Easyrig and that was sweet. I didn't even feel the weight and was able to run around with a lot of easy. But that was a $10K setup. The key to it was the dual arm ring and the Easy rig. Hopefully this will work for the G2. Feiyu has the BMPCC4K listed as one of the tested and supported cameras on their website. Assuming the BMPCC4K is right about the same size and weight, it should work and there's a bunch of videos showing it.

IMG_20190601_162457.jpg