Thread: G2 to LF sensor upgrade program

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    I was thinking about this and how possible/plausible it is. Since an LF camera is inevitable at some point...and the UMP line is already so established...I'm wondering if a sensor upgrade plan could be done. Using the new electronics of the G2 which could possibly take advantage of the LF sensor. Using the UMP line BMD dont have to redesign or reinvent the wheel which would help keep costs down. Customers send in their G2 and they swap the sensor at a cost lower than having to pay full price for a new camera (like RED).

Things to consider:

1. However being that the G2 is already pretty affordable I dont know if it makes sense economically for BMD to do this.

2. They can hardly deliver normal cams fast enough so this would put more pressure on them...ie this may take forever.

3. Is there physically enough space in the current UMP to house an LF sensor.
    The G2 is too cheap. They will just sell you an LF camera later on (I hope). If you can't wait, buy a Luca adaptor speed booster, I have one and seems to work really well.

Paul
    Paul Ross Jones

-------------------------
    www.instagram.com/paulrossjones/

www.paulrossjones.com

Quote Originally Posted by paulrossjones View Post
    The G2 is too cheap. They will just sell you an LF camera later on (I hope). If you can't wait, buy a Luca adaptor speed booster, I have one and seems to work really well.

Paul
    Im good with the G2 and P4k. Not interested in another camera purchase for now.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

I don't see any point on BM offering an upgrade service or trying to implement it into their camera systems. As mentioned above, RED for example who offers such service, does it at costs at least similar to BM's brand new flag ship camera price. And seeing how RED is copying over BM these days (Ranger, Komodo...) I won't be surprised if they completely stop offering such upgrade services quite soon and start making cheaper, "sell-away to upgrade" cameras instead. I also find it quite unreasonable when I see people complaining about new models coming out like suddenly their camera became obsolete. Anybody that is interested in upgrading their BM cameras can do it very simply and easily by selling their old camera and purchasing a brand new one which includes 1 year warranty. Depending on the upgrade, accessories (media, batteries, EVF etc) can be kept and used on the new camera.

For example:
    Ursa Mini 4.6k to UMP G2 - Easy sell for $2k~$3k Upgrade cost $3k~$4k
    Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K to UMP G2 - Easy sell for $3~$4k Upgrade cost $2k~$3k
    Pocket4K to Pocket6K - Easy sell at $1~1.3k Upgrade cost $1.2~$1.5k

And so on...
    I find the above upgrade costs reasonable enough especially when you think they include the new one year warranty. In effect, one (semi-successful) filmmaker can easily keep upgrading their camera system to the latest model every year (or perhaps two years). If somebody just buying these camera as a hobby or passion projects that's fine but then obviously the income source has to come from somewhere else. Anybody that complains about those numbers and ask for even cheaper upgrades they got way too spoiled and have lost perspective of what they are getting and for how much. As harsh as it might sound, if somebody can't afford these numbers... they are probably just fine with their previous camera system.
    Last edited by pidulgi; 10-08-2019 at 12:06 AM.

^ This.

Particularly the part about selling to buy: I've learned to think of my cameras in terms of cost-per-year (price I paid minus cash I got back, divided by the time I had it with me). Anything else is kidding myself about the fact that SOON I WILL WANT A NEW CAMERA. I thought the p4k would last me at least 3 years, and here I am, lusting over a p6k...

Quote Originally Posted by pidulgi View Post
    I don't see any point on BM offering an upgrade service or trying to implement it into their camera systems. As mentioned above, RED for example who offers such service, does it at costs at least similar to BM's brand new flag ship camera price. And seeing how RED is copying over BM these days (Ranger, Komodo...) I won't be surprised if they completely stop offering such upgrade services quite soon and start making cheaper, "sell-away to upgrade" cameras instead. I also find it quite unreasonable when I see people complaining about new models coming out like suddenly their camera became obsolete. Anybody that is interested in upgrading their BM cameras can do it very simply and easily by selling their old camera and purchasing a brand new one which includes 1 year warranty. Depending on the upgrade, accessories (media, batteries, EVF etc) can be kept and used on the new camera.

For example:
    Ursa Mini 4.6k to UMP G2 - Easy sell for $2k~$3k Upgrade cost $3k~$4k
    Ursa Mini Pro 4.6K to UMP G2 - Easy sell for $3~$4k Upgrade cost $2k~$3k
    Pocket4K to Pocket6K - Easy sell at $1~1.3k Upgrade cost $1.2~$1.5k

And so on...
    I find the above upgrade costs reasonable enough especially when you think they include the new one year warranty. In effect, one (semi-successful) filmmaker can easily keep upgrading their camera system to the latest model every year (or perhaps two years). If somebody just buying these camera as a hobby or passion projects that's fine but then obviously the income source has to come from somewhere else. Anybody that complains about those numbers and ask for even cheaper upgrades they got way too spoiled and have lost perspective of what they are getting and for how much. As harsh as it might sound, if somebody can't afford these numbers... they are probably just fine with their previous camera system.
    Makes sense
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos