Thread: Pocket 6K problem?

1. #1 Pocket 6K problem? 
    I just noticed this issue:

https://youtu.be/_uMnNDif0yM

Have you guys ever dealt with this? Did you fix it yourself (how?) or did you have to send it back to Blackmagic?

Thanks.

I usually shoot wide open, so I havenít really noticed it before. I did send Blackmagic an e-mail about this issue. Waiting to hear back from them.

There is dust/dirt/smudge somewhere. If you swap lenses and it's still there it's on the sensor glass. If it's on the outside and it's dust or a hair you can get it off with a blower.

That sound right. Here’s what Blackmagic said:

Thanks for getting in touch with us.

Based on the sample you sent us, I think there may be some sort of fiber stuck on the protective IR glass. If you've tried using a blower on the front of the glass but have not seen the fiber move, I would hazard that it is stuck under the glass. Given that, we would have to bring the camera in for service, but addressing this issue should be covered under the warranty.

If you'd like to set up an RMA so we can bring your camera in for repair, please copy and paste the following into your reply, and fill out the relevant fields accordingly. Send it back to me, and I'll reply with the shipping information. If you have any questions, please be sure to let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Thefilmaddict View Post
    I just noticed this issue:

https://youtu.be/_uMnNDif0yM

Have you guys ever dealt with this? Did you fix it yourself (how?) or did you have to send it back to Blackmagic?

Thanks.

I usually shoot wide open, so I havenít really noticed it before. I did send Blackmagic an e-mail about this issue. Waiting to hear back from them.
    You can unscrew the front barrel and there is a little groove by the IR glass where you can use small tweezers to grab and pull out the rubber o-ring which is holding the IR glass. And then you'd use a suction cup tool to pull out the glass.

This has to be done in a clean room or enclosure because there is a 99% chance you'll get more dust/particles on the glass while you're trying to clean it.

When I used to use Blackmagic cameras almost all of them had dust inside the chamber. (Most people don't notice because you'll only see it at higher apertures.)

I don't recommend doing this if you don't feel comfortable working with hardware/cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    You can unscrew the front barrel and there is a little groove by the IR glass where you can use small tweezers to grab and pull out the rubber o-ring which is holding the IR glass. And then you'd use a suction cup tool to pull out the glass.

This has to be done in a clean room or enclosure because there is a 99% chance you'll get more dust/particles on the glass while you're trying to clean it.

When I used to use Blackmagic cameras almost all of them had dust inside the chamber. (Most people don't notice because you'll only see it at higher apertures.)

I don't recommend doing this if you don't feel comfortable working with hardware/cameras.
    This will void the warranty. Just send it in for service.

He asked how to do it yourself, so that's the answer.

But, yes; sending it in is the way to go.

If particle visible more or less depending of lens aperture, it means this particle somewhere inside the lens.
    Check if problem exists with different lens.
    All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

Obviously not always true. Particles on sensors can look similar and mine over the years looked exactly the same as in the OP's link.

In either case, they are simply obstructions shaping or being shaped by light.