Thread: P4k vs P6k conspiracy theory

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    Not to be that guy...but B&H actually has 36 1080p TVs for sale, and only 14 are actually in stock.

In comparison to UHD/4K units, there are 212 available with 162 in stock. (Eight 8K models with 6 in stock.)
    You are a better man than me. Without even looking I knew what was being posted was nonsense, and I couldn't be bothered to debunk it.

Anybody in the US who has been to a big box store recently knows they are stacked floor to ceiling with 4k TVs. The only 1080p TVs I've seen for YEARS are smaller cheaper TVs. 4K TVs are something that has been pushed by manufacturers and trade publications. There are early adopters out there but most of us just buy what is available and reasonably priced.

I have yet to go to a person's home who has even bothered to calibrate the TV they own. These people are not laying awake at night thinking about 4k vs 1080p.

For what it's worth I've found 3 perfectly good 1080p displays on the side of the road recently. Two apple HD displays and a viewsonic monitor that I use as my 3rd screen now.

People are literally tossing out 1080P screens where I'm at XD.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    Ursa Broadcast and UMP are practically the same camera yet the flagship camera is $2500 more. Is the sensor and hardware that much more expensive? Probably not. Is it a conspiracy? Nope, just business.
    I agree about the just business part, but it does make sense that the UMP sensor costs a lot more than the Pocket sensors: it's a custom design. Sony sells legions of sensors to everyone and their cat, so of course it's less expensive thanks to the economies of scale -- and some of the cost of the Pocket sensors is actually amortized over the cost of cell phone sensors, which helps to keep the costs down.

On the other hand, since the 4.6K sensor is a bespoke design, it isn't selling in particularly large volumes in semiconductor terms, and BMD is its only customer. The manufacturer probably has other customers, but they're most likely for things like medical and other scientific imaging applications, and therefore small volume products that are custom or semi-custom.

If I were going to suggest a BM conspiracy it would be in the quality area not in the availability area.

The 6k is cheaper than a lot of mid level SLRs, so to me it's meh.

But the fact that you have to do risk assessment with respect to quality and failure of BM cameras stinks.

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    For what it's worth I've found 3 perfectly good 1080p displays on the side of the road recently. Two apple HD displays and a viewsonic monitor that I use as my 3rd screen now.

People are literally tossing out 1080P screens where I'm at XD.
    If the Viewsonic is the same I had for many years, it's actually not bad at all once calibrated to Rec709.