Thread: Petition - "BMD Buyers Matter"

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
  1. #41 A useful challenge .. 
    Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    Don't forget that Arri has a very robust manufacturing pipeline with by hand-QC during the entire process, so they have the infrastructure to repair or replace the tiniest fault.

Blackmagic does not have such a resource (to my knowledge).

I would say that Nobody is Perfect .. Everything is Complex .. Let us look at that Problem in a Sane Way : we are not perfect , but , if we are " Correct " , then
    we want to improve , we want to get Better ..

As we say in France " La Critique est facile , mais l' Art est Difficile " ... I won't translate , I am sure you understand very Well ..

BM should consider this in a SANE and POSITIVE WAY .... This is a POSITIVE and VERY USEFUL CHALLENGE for them ... They Already make REALLY GOOD CAMERAS , with a
    nice Spirit , we should not Forget That .. Many of their Cameras work with No Problem .. BUT , there are some RELIABILITY ISSUES , which are Very Harmful for the Reputation of their Cameras ..

So , if they Can Solve those Reliability Issues , they would approach PERFECTION ... and get a Really Really Good Image ..

If a Sensor Dies , maybe the Sensor's Manufacturer does have some QC Issues .. A sensor , like a CPU , should not Suddenly DIe ..

Personally , I could Never Kill Any CPU .. despite using them Extensively ...

An Angry Customer is a Lost Customer .. that Should Not Happen ..

I See Two Main Solutions : a Technical Solution , with Serious QC on the Sensors , and/or , as the Sensor is the Heart and the Most Expensive Part of the
    Camera , an extended Warranty on the Sensor ..

The Ball is the Hands of BM .. They Can and they Must Improve ... YES , THEY CAN ....

With my Best Regards from our Old France ...

Mike ..

Man, Michel...

I love your attitude!

Well put Michel!
    Cheers

Ditto Denny and stip. Great response. Thanks

Be careful what you wish for. When push comes to shove BMD might just do a shut down and phoenix if the enterprise gets painted into a financial corner. They did not get into a legal fight over Cinema DNG apparently due to being too small a fish to afford the costs so they are likely not big enough to be not allowed to fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hart View Post
    Be careful what you wish for. When push comes to shove BMD might just do a shut down and phoenix if the enterprise gets painted into a financial corner. They did not get into a legal fight over Cinema DNG apparently due to being too small a fish to afford the costs so they are likely not big enough to be not allowed to fail.
    I've got lots of business experience working for tech manufacturing companies so I'm wearing my business hat for a moment here. I say this remark of 'be careful what you wish for' is just a fear tactic most people use. This shouldn't stop us from asking them to be a better company.

Every company takes some risk - some larger than others. But you have to take some risk if you want to be larger and viable someday. There are many ways for a company to be better without affecting the bottom line. Charging for extended protection/warranty and increasing product price to improve and/or innovate are examples. Those variances for QC or consumer insurance would only cost an additional 1% per unit sold to customers. So, for example, if they charge another $60 dollars (for a protection fee) annually and increase $60 to the price of a $6K camera, they can escrow the paid fees to pay for replacement units and the extra margin from the increased price to get to an improve QC workforce, which potentially could decrease the failure rates - a good thing for both them and their customers. As a consumer, that's not a big price to pay. I'm good with that either way. The side effect of this model is only positive as well - better customer service and company reputation which equates to more sales and increase revenue. It all depends on what is important to the people who makes the decision in the company. When companies stay the status quo, it's not because they are small. It is because of unwillingness to venture and take risk, investor/stockholder pressure, or just plain greed. In the last 35 years, I've seen enough that I can almost say this with certainty.
    Last edited by EYu; 10-02-2019 at 08:53 PM.

"Be careful what you wish for" is not a scare tactic on my part. It touches on a reality. We saw what happened to Cineform's historic customer support when GoPro bought in. Try to re-register old software that has died with the failed computer drive and see how you get on. Cineform had a fairly bulletproof security on their intellectual property. It is now locked away and inaccessible. Blackmagic may stay in the game long enough to make a return on the owner's original investment of intense time and effort. That may not be sustainable without health consequences. What happens when "he" or "they" get old or get sick and want out. If another bigger corporate fish comes along and buys in, the intellectual property may be stripped and less profitable product lines eliminated in an efficiency cull. Pray that the bigger fish is not Adobe. The marque as such may go away very quickly and become both unloved and unsupported.
    Last edited by Robert Hart; 10-05-2019 at 01:52 PM. Reason: error

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hart View Post
    Thankfully there are WAY more options available today. I'm personally not gonna be held "hostage" to any manufacturer when there are other options. Much as I am a BMD fan...and love what they stand for.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Sorry folks...I started this thread and then got called away out into the bush unexpectedly.....

Well it sure got ppl talking and discussing and it inflamed some passion along the way. Thats good I think.

No solution to the problem but I dont think we will get one. Hopefully this caused some noise on the net and BM actually took a look...we will never know.

However I dont think the title is silly or stupid. Its a real problem. Those of us who drop 6K on a camera are not throw away people. We do matter. This issue matters. ANY publicity is good publicity....if people are talking about this then good. It raises the awareness and if so, mission successful.

I was on the brink of pushing the buy button but have now pulled back. I just can't afford to bring a camera of this size all the way out here and have it fail on me willy nilly as BM cams seem to do for some.

No matter what anyone says its kind of crazy to feel this way about buying a brand new out of the box camera.

Quote Originally Posted by M&M's View Post
    Sorry folks...I started this thread and then got called away out into the bush unexpectedly.....

Well it sure got ppl talking and discussing and it inflamed some passion along the way. Thats good I think.

No solution to the problem but I dont think we will get one. Hopefully this caused some noise on the net and BM actually took a look...we will never know.

However I dont think the title is silly or stupid. Its a real problem. Those of us who drop 6K on a camera are not throw away people. We do matter. This issue matters. ANY publicity is good publicity....if people are talking about this then good. It raises the awareness and if so, mission successful.

I was on the brink of pushing the buy button but have now pulled back. I just can't afford to bring a camera of this size all the way out here and have it fail on me willy nilly as BM cams seem to do for some.

No matter what anyone says its kind of crazy to feel this way about buying a brand new out of the box camera.
    Your concern can be addressed in 1 of 3 ways:

1) Buy an extended third party warranty.

2) Get insurance to protect your $6K investment.

3) Buy a different brand and see if their 1 year warranty will magically last several years.