Thread: Advice - UMP dead after 1.5 years - Support declining to help.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    I use to leave my Production 4k on for a whole day sometimes longer while doing time lapse. Its still works fine but I hardly use it these days.
    There are teardowns of the BMCC and BMPC4K. The design is surprisingly simple, and simple is robust. It looks like a decklink card with direct input from a sensor, and the body was built around that. (explains the horrible ergonomics)

I'd love to see the inside of an UMP.

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    surprisingly simple, and simple is robust.
    Robust.

Uh huh.

That explains why people have to remove the battery to get their camera to turn off.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWlover View Post
    Robust.

Uh huh.

That explains why people have to remove the battery to get their camera to turn off.

There are teardowns of the BMCC and BMPC4K. The design is surprisingly simple, and simple is robust. It looks like a decklink card with direct input from a sensor, and the body was built around that. (explains the horrible ergonomics)

I'd love to see the inside of an UMP.
    Learn to read before making snide remarks k thx

In mining inside a big URSA which has demised itself, I have found that the components are incredibly small, are surface-mounted and no one with a the average soldering iron is going to be able to do much good in those tight spaces. The main PCB and mounted parts are really only single use and the system being unitary means if something goes, everything goes. One minute cock of the walk, next minute the feather duster in pride of place upon the bookshelf as an ornament. The term "no user-serviceable parts contained within" takes on a whole new complexion with these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hart View Post
    In mining inside a big URSA which has demised itself, I have found that the components are incredibly small, are surface-mounted and no one with a the average soldering iron is going to be able to do much good in those tight spaces. The main PCB and mounted parts are really only single use and the system being unitary means if something goes, everything goes. One minute cock of the walk, next minute the feather duster in pride of place upon the bookshelf as an ornament. The term "no user-serviceable parts contained within" takes on a whole new complexion with these things.
    Aw come on.
    You know BM camera designs are simple and robust.
    Which is why this thread started.

RAWlover. "You know BM camera designs are simple and robust."

What can I say? I am left with two conclusions. You are either speaking in jest, or your comments are purely faithbased and you are a true believer. Please do not get me wrong. The BM cameras are amazingly capable for the comparatively low asking price but don't kid yourself that they are stayers versus being sprinters.

The "big" URSA is structurally very strong. Sadly it is also a platform that not enough people fell in love with. It is not surprising then that BM did not develop and support it further. There is workspace within the casework to contain the beating heart of the URSA Mini Pro, its cooling system and its sensor with spades of room to spare for internal SSD docks. The casework milling CAD file would need to be revised but that would be about it.

If the company was to offer my wishlist entire retrofit kit for the big URSA with a splitter board to drive the big monitor screen and sell its URSA Mini Pro against it, this would be cannibalism and nonsensical business practice of the first order.

General Motors Holden tried in Australia with two sedan car platforms based on identical motors and transmissions. So too did Chrysler and Ford. GMH had to be rescued by its US parent. Chrysler shut up shop. Ford stayed the distance but the last two big players GM and Ford bailed when the government would no longer prop them up.

The GM Holden 202 engine was capable of 119bhp and this was claimed when cars were being sold. As an industrial motor operating in continuous duty, its power rating was 62bhp. The 119bhp rating was noted in the industrial brochure as applicable when "engine longevity was not a consideration". The limitation was the ability of the internal structure of the engine to pass heat to the cooling system under full sustained power.

BM might build their cameras out of storebought components which are tried and proven. If these are overdriven, there may be no guarantee of the ability of the sensor chips or CPU chips being able to sustainably pass the added heat generated through themselves into even the best cooling system over the longer term.

A few outfits over the years have been caught out for deliberately building foreshortened operating life into their products in order to generate ongoing orders for their products. They would sell regardless because they were priced comparatively cheaply. A product which endures for too long eats the market out, not only for its manufacturer but for the competition as well.

I hope BM has not gone down the path of timelifeing its products with a suicide circuit or a component which has a predictable foreshortened life before failure.
    Last edited by Robert Hart; 10-13-2019 at 11:38 AM. Reason: errors

He’s being sarcastic towards my comment. I said the original BMCC toaster design was robust and questioned whether their newer cameras are built the same way. For some idiotic reason he thinks I said ALL their cameras are designed this way.

Maybe he’s not fluent in English. Either way, the tone is non-constructive, especially since the foundation is fabricated.

He’s being sarcastic towards my comment. I said the original BMCC toaster design was robust and questioned whether their newer cameras are built the same way. For some idiotic reason he thinks I said ALL their cameras are designed this way.

Maybe he’s not fluent in English. Either way, the tone is non-constructive, especially since the foundation is fabricated.
    He is doing it again. Quoting a portion of someone's post and twisting it out of context for his own agenda. A troll, not a language barrier.

So getting back to the OP, has there been any update/resolution?

Quote Originally Posted by RAWlover View Post
    So getting back to the OP, has there been any update/resolution?
    Even though I just moved away from BM cameras, I'm still very interested in this as well.
    Dory Breaux
    Filmmaker/Photographer
    www.dorybreaux.com