Thread: Advice - UMP dead after 1.5 years - Support declining to help.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1 Advice - UMP dead after 1.5 years - Support declining to help. 
    Hello all,

Hope everyone is good. Not usually a talker on here, more of a reader. However I would love some advice/tips.

My UMP bit the dust last week during a shoot. Was disheartening but also very embarrassing in front of clients. Camera was working fine when all of a sudden it died and then refused to turn on again (fans booted up).

I sent it back and just got word from them. It seems like it's a sensor issue and it wouldn't be economical for them to repair it. They're not offering a replacement or an incentive/discount, repair - basically nothing. Just that they can dispose it for me.

The camera was well cared for and evidently not user error. Now I know the warranty is only for a year (that's unfortunate to begin with) but surely a sensor should last more than a year and six months.

Does anyone have any advice because surely there's something I can do? I'd love to have something to present an argument with opposed to just pleading hoping they'd help me out.

This sort of answer, in my book, is terrible customer service. Just a little stuck and could use some opinions.

Thanks so much

Edit - including email for transparency. I'm also located in Canada now. BMD California has the unit.

I just got an update at the same time your message came in and it looks like after swapping the main circuit board we are not able to repair the issues with the sensor. Since the sensor cost more that the entire camera this is beyond economical repair for us. We can go ahead and send it back to you as is or dispose of the camera for you. Please let me know how you would like to proceed
    Last edited by tremblingwater; 09-25-2019 at 03:28 AM.

Yeh this is terrible customer service IMO. There has to be some way of BMD dealing with this apart from disposing of a 6 grand camera. DO they think this is some kind of throw away cam for that kind of $$ ?! Madness. I dunno man...its stuff like this that makes me say my UMP g2 and P4k may just be my last BMD cams. Love the cams and have been a customer since the first camera.... but if BMD act like this...they are going to lose customers.

Sorry I don't have any advice to help.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    Yeh this is terrible customer service IMO. There has to be some way of BMD dealing with this apart from disposing of a 6 grand camera. DO they think this is some kind of throw away cam for that kind of $$ ?! Madness. I dunno man...its stuff like this that makes me say my UMP g2 and P4k may just be my last BMD cams. Love the cams and have been a customer since the first camera.... but if BMD act like this...they are going to lose customers.

Sorry I don't have any advice to help.
    I hear you, and while two wrongs don't make a right, from my experience, this behavious is the same across all manufacturers. Had a Sony which cost more then by BM at the time develop a fault in the tape mechanism. The local agent hadn't even heard about the camera, and an expensive repair shop totally ruined the tape transport - despite the camcorder being under warranty. A friend had another Sony with a manufacturing defect (faulty IR filter I think), had to send it abroad for repair, while having to rent a camera for paid work in the meantime.

If this happened to me, I'd be furious too - don't get me wrong! But these problems are not unique to BM!

Yes, bad news. You could try contacting BMD Support directly, and see what they say, you do not have anything to loose, only gain.
    A pro camera like the UMPro should not die after 18mo this use.
    Cheers

I would be upset, too, but more-so that it only lasted 1.5 years and not that they aren't offering any help. 5K is not cheap for most of us on here to invest in, but it's also bottom dollar when it comes to cinema cameras. The price we pay for having affordable access to raw recording is a 1 year warranty. We are lucky it's even that, IMO. The sensor is these cameras. It going out is like the engine on a Mitsubishi Mirage blowing up.

To put things into perspective, all of my "professional" gear that I bought as the cheapest option has failed me. Monitors, cables, batteries, brackets, stands, arms, hardware etc. All the cheapest options - I might as well bought them as disposable.

I'm not saying the UMP is disposable, but there are hidden costs when you're getting so much for so little. Sorry for your loss. Hope you find a replacement (or two) soon.

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    I would be upset, too, but more-so that it only lasted 1.5 years and not that they aren't offering any help. 5K is not cheap for most of us on here to invest in, but it's also bottom dollar when it comes to cinema cameras. The price we pay for having affordable access to raw recording is a 1 year warranty. We are lucky it's even that, IMO. The sensor is these cameras. It going out is like the engine on a Mitsubishi Mirage blowing up.

That's ridiculous. If you can't put out a product that losts longer than 1.5 years for 5 grand then don't put one out at all or at least hold yourself accountable. If you are going to advertise yourself as a company that provides cameras for professional use the put your money your mouth is.

This whole "well, it's the cheapest option so.." rhetoric is absolute bunk and its what allows BM to get away with the (lack of) customer service they provide. I feel for the OP, what a horrible experience to have in front of clients.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanStone View Post
    That's ridiculous. If you can't put out a product that losts longer than 1.5 years for 5 grand then don't put one out at all or at least hold yourself accountable. If you are going to advertise yourself as a company that provides cameras for professional use the put your money your mouth is.

This whole "well, it's the cheapest option so.." rhetoric is absolute bunk and its what allows BM to get away with the (lack of) customer service they provide. I feel for the OP, what a horrible experience to have in front of clients.
    100% agree. The Rhetoric that "it's cheap so..." is absolutely rubbish.
    I'm not sure we know the whole story. My expectation is that BMD support will quote for a repair that might not be in the ballpark that the OP wants to pay or is trying to get it replaced or repaired without pay.
    I had my BMCC sensor failed way back when and it was 2+ years old at that time. I called BMD and they had me send it in for repair. It cost me a pretty penny to repair because it was out of warranty but they did repair it. The BMCC was still being marketed then. As far as I know, the time that the manufacturer may not be able to repair is when the product is no longer being manufactured.
    However, if what is said by the OP is truly the case, contact your local consumer protection agency and get their advice and assistance. That's what I would do.

Just make a stink about it on the major Blackmagic Facebook groups. I've seen them respond quickly when something starts picking up steam on social media. Then, for the low price of your camera, they can turn negative PR into positive PR. You've made it worth their money.

9. #9 Contact Your Dealer for Issues with Blackmagic Support 
    BMCuser Sponsor
    What did your dealer say about the email that Blackmagic Support sent about the repair of your URSA Mini Pro not being viable?

As a dealer, I've never had a problem getting issues like this corrected with Blackmagic or other vendors when I've been involved.

perhaps there is some sort of minimum warranty law you could leverage where you're from? 1 year warranty on an expensive electronic seems really short.