Thread: Original pocket ok for filming in cars?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Original pocket ok for filming in cars? 
    I have used DSLRs filming from cars and got bad jello. How is the original pocket for this? Talking about filming without a gimbal of course. Either handheld or tripod mounted inside the car and filming out of the window. Thanks.

If the terrain is nice and clear, you might have a chance. Otherwise it's going to behave like any other dslr.

It's just normal paved streets. Not off roading or anything. Just driving through city streets.

I shot with the pocket cam shoulder mounted in the passenger's seat of a car once. It wasn't super balanced but I did have an EVF for that third point of contact. I was just shooting out the windshield for fun but keeping it stable was still a challenge. It really depends on the vehicle's suspension and your ability to isolate yourself from any bumps.

Having really stable hands or a good stabilizer like a shouder rig will help you. Maybe even a monopod but my recommendation goes to a nice shoulder rig.

Thanks. I don't mind camera shake. I just don't want jello. We will probably use a tripod standing on the car floor. No EVF.

I don't remember which DSLR I used. It was long ago. I think it was a GH3 or maybe a GH2. But it looked horrible. The whole frame was wobbling like jelly. This is the effect I'm trying to avoid. Camera shake is fine. Even skew can be tolerated. Jello, NO!

So if no Jello I would like to use the pocket because it's so small. The alternative is a F5, which is much bigger and cumbersome.

The old Pocket is not much better regarding jello, since its readout is still slow. Rather rent or borrow a video camera instead or the new one. It's faster.

Like this one?

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    Like this one?

But that is different. That is shooting inside the car. Rolling shutter is not really a problem that way, unless the camera is very bad. Point the camera to the outside when the car is driving and it's a different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    The old Pocket is not much better regarding jello, since its readout is still slow. Rather rent or borrow a video camera instead or the new one. It's faster.
    By video camera do you mean something like an EX1, Z150 etc, or more like a FS7 and higher end?