Thread: S16 Camera choice. Some help please.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    https://www.cinema5d.com/z-cam-zraw-...-our-lab-test/
    And those are 4K samples downscaled to HD. In S16 crop mode Pocket 4K noise will be way more visible.

All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

And same with very tiny amount of TNR if you too lazy to look at full tests in other thread:

All my custom made accessories for BMMCC/BMMSC now available here https://lavky.com/radioproektor/

To check real life details amount here are some my other samples shoot on BMMCC and processed with proper workflow.

And some BMPCC/BMMCC samples (by other users shoot without OLPF) from Grade my DNG thread processed with proper workflow:

Ursa 4.6K samples (4.6K downsampled to HD):

Pocket 4K samples (4K downsampled to HD):

Pocket 6K sample (6K downsampled to 4K):
    Last edited by shijan; 09-19-2019 at 02:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Yes, but unnecessary. There's more than enough in the OG Pocket with his PL lenses if OP know what he/she want to do with it.
    I don't know if "unnecessary" is really the right response. You asked for advantages and there are tangible advantages to the P4K and P6K.

I also don't even entirely disagree that the Pocket HD is "enough", though I would argue that the Micro is superior in two key ways: better/easier battery options, and better cooling resulting in a better image. I like my P4K but I still absolutely adore my two Micros.

Quote Originally Posted by FoldableHuman View Post
    I don't know if "unnecessary" is really the right response. You asked for advantages and there are tangible advantages to the P4K and P6K.

I also don't even entirely disagree that the Pocket HD is "enough", though I would argue that the Micro is superior in two key ways: better/easier battery options, and better cooling resulting in a better image. I like my P4K but I still absolutely adore my two Micros.
    I shot a lot without having to rig a lot on the OG Pocket, Wooden PL Adapter, no filters (including OLPF), and Angie PL lenses for a few years and that was enough for what we needed for our projects including this from a win at a major festival.

CC2017.JPG

I guess for me I'm not about equipment GAS but what I can do with the equipment at hand. Otherwise, no camera to date will ever be enough. I won't debate the merits of a shoot base on a tool. To me, a camera is just a tool. The soul is in the lighting, performance, production design, and esthetics from the selected glass that was needed for just that moment of the shot. Just like I never understood why people need low light cameras since I could take a nice clean evening shot at ISO 200 - appropriately lit which is the key to cinematography. But I can see its value if someone was doing an event, ENG style, or possibly for a documentary. It sound philosophical but I have always practiced this and it works for me. I only do narratives so that's where my perspective is set on. It might not work for another person or project but you always try to do with what you can have. Cheers.

EDIT: The clip above was shot in OG Pocket, PL lens, 1080 Prores 422 HQ, shown ungraded. The lighting setup and performance made the shot. I even doubt I had more than 9 stops of DR since we were filming in Prores HQ although it looks like more. The noise gave some cinematic feel to it.
    Last edited by EYu; 09-19-2019 at 10:54 AM.

I have a Micro. I love it. Though if I didn't have any camera today I would buy a Pocket4k or 6k over the micro in a heartbeat.

It's a no-brainer. A pocket 4K with a better image and better interface would be cheaper than a Micro rigged with all the necessary peripherals.

PocketHD is another thing all together. You can get by with just the camera and some batteries. The two options are in completely different price brackets, and they are essentially the same camera.

This thread isn't about how an inferior camera's capability can be masked by cinematography, it's about what is the best option to buy.

So if we are talking about what is the best "BMD" option to buy now regardless of price, my vote is the UMP 4.6K G2. For an S16 option with a budget, yes to Pocket 4K. I'm sure the Micro has its worth but I can't speak to it. Never had the Micro.

I had both Micros, the Cinema and Broadcast. Two different cameras sharing the same body, kind of like the Pocket 4K and 6K, each with its intended use. I had the Micros rigged out with a simple cage, and one of the SBus controllers, which makes the Micro a more practical camera to use. The new Pocket 4K is replacing both cameras for what I am shooting now.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    I guess for me I'm not about equipment GAS but what I can do with the equipment at hand.
    I mean, cool, but it's literally a thread asking for purchasing advice.

Quote Originally Posted by FoldableHuman View Post
    I mean, cool, but it's literally a thread asking for purchasing advice.
    I got that and I gave my purchasing advise in an earlier post in this thread... which was an OG Pocket. Dirt cheap on Ebay if you don't need the unnecessary stuff from the P4K firmware and hardware. That's my advice because for me it won't make a difference if it was my project needing an S16 cam. so take it or leave it. That said, any further debating on this will just be trolling. That's it for me.