Thread: Tilta Articulating Screen for P4K & P6K

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    Quote Originally Posted by Park Edwards View Post
    Did you read it? It states repair or modify.
    I did. The only mention of modification comes from SEMA, the group that represents the enthusiasts, not the FTC. Nowhere in the verbage oif the FTC alert or the Magnuson-Moss act is the verbage of "modification" ever used. Wer're talking about legislation that protects the consumers right to get tires and oil changes at Pep-Boys rather than the dealership.

I'd agree that those void if broken stickers are complete BS and illegal as well. However, most warranty services will require BM to go through your modification to service the camera. At that point it would be reasonably beyond the scope of the technicians experience.

This is really beside the point, you asked if BM had ever stated it would void the warranty and I provided the info. If you want to have an argument based on cherry picked quotes from the internet be my guest, this was boring half way into my reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Howie Roll View Post
    I did. The only mention of modification comes from SEMA, the group that represents the enthusiasts, not the FTC. Nowhere in the verbage oif the FTC alert or the Magnuson-Moss act is the verbage of "modification" ever used. Wer're talking about legislation that protects the consumers right to get tires and oil changes at Pep-Boys rather than the dealership.

I'd agree that those void if broken stickers are complete BS and illegal as well. However, most warranty services will require BM to go through your modification to service the camera. At that point it would be reasonably beyond the scope of the technicians experience.

This is really beside the point, you asked if BM had ever stated it would void the warranty and I provided the info. If you want to have an argument based on cherry picked quotes from the internet be my guest, this was boring half way into my reply.
    I would presume if the fault is not related in any way to the screen or USB3 port modification, then BM will honor the warranty. That's just common sense. On the other hand, if you damage the camera while performing the modification, then obviously BM can't be held responsible. It's one thing having a defective but pristing circuitboard and quite another being confronted with a cracked or scratched board....

That's exactly the point. You provided the same ole legal jargon mumbo jumbo all manufacturers use in the terms and conditions. I asked if the company has specifically stated the modification voids the warranty. You didn't, because they can't. Manufacturers will always try stick it to the consumer when it comes to a warranty. But most consumers don't know their warranty rights. You can modify your equipment, be a car, smartphone or camera as the law is on your side. The manufacturer has to honor their warranty if a piece of the product fails that is no fault of the consumer. If for some reason the electronics on the lens mount failed days, or months after you've modified the screen, they can't deny you a warranty replacement or repair. The manufacturer has to prove your modification is linked to the failure. They can't be like "oh well you modified the screen so we can't honor our warranty. That's not how a warranty works. By spreading these kinds of falsehoods gives manufacturers the upper hand screws over the consumer. If however the lcd fails to work after modifying the lcd then yeah, you're fucked. That's your fault.

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith;
    I guess this would depend on what and how a thing broke.

If the LCD was cracked or damaged due to this, it would void that part of the warranty. If the cable (which is flexible, but i'm not sure how it will handle repeated flexing) snaps and breaks then obviously we couldn't cover that.

But if the part of the camera stopped functioning for reasons unrelated to the mod, I would not give too hard a time about it.
    Joshua Helling
    Director of World Wide Support
    Blackmagic Design Inc.

He further stated, he had concerns about the bending of the video cable shown in the video.
    Cheers
    Did you not read my earlier comment, which answers your question?

Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    Did you not read my earlier comment, which answers your question?
    Apologies, the quote box in a quote box in a quote box made it hard to tell who said what. Thanks.

Has anyone seen the official Tilta video manual on how to change the display? They mentioned it at IBC, but I haven't seen it anywhere. While the concept and idea is great in theory, I feel like it all hinges on how easy it is to do for the owner of the camera.