Thread: Here comes Z CAM

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Here comes Z CAM 
    Now that BMD is shipping the BMPCC 6K, Z CAM has in pre-order at B&H the following models. Are you ready?

Z CAM E2-S6 6K Super 35 - $2995
    Z CAM E2-F6 6K Full Frame - $4995
    Z CAM E2-F8 8K Full Frame - $5995

If you think the BMPCC 6K has disrupted the market, Z CAM is adding fuel to the fire of disruption. Good for us, maybe.

Like everything zcam is doing. Hope the lens mounts are exchangeable. Just wish it had sdi.

If that 8k FF camera has at least 15ms fast rolling shutter, it would be a hell of a fire

It's exciting to see another player at this price point. These cameras (as they stand) aren't for me personally, but I like that they're widening the field, and I'm pulling for their success.

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMi View Post
    It's exciting to see another player at this price point. These cameras (as they stand) aren't for me personally, but I like that they're widening the field, and I'm pulling for their success.

Shawn
    Same here....personally not interested but I love seeing whats happening.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMi View Post

Shawn
    +2

A major part of the disruption for Blackmagic is Braw and recording 422 prores (and higher for UMP). Without that, might as well get a mirrorless. Zcam codec options are really subpar.

I see no disruption in the US market from zcam until that hurdle is passed over.

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    A major part of the disruption for Blackmagic is Braw and recording 422 prores (and higher for UMP). Without that, might as well get a mirrorless. Zcam codec options are really subpar.

I see no disruption in the US market from zcam until that hurdle is passed over.
    I thought they shot prores now?

Edit: just read the codecs... Yeh not ready to challenge BMD IMO. 4 2 0 10 bit and 8 bit. 10 bit raw (even though I dont think it shoots that as yet). Def not for me... But great to have options.
    Last edited by jambredz; 08-21-2019 at 06:11 PM.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

I've read the specs and the 6k full frame is really interesting for those that want a full frame camera, the 8k is really limited in frame rates just for the sake of 8k. They have a way to go to compete software wise, they are developing their own Raw so who knows what that will be. ProRes once licensed will surely be no more than scaled 4k.

I kind of hope Apple kicks Reds ass in the compressed raw patent war, companies like ZCam could be much better if they could just license ProRes raw and concentrate of building hardware. Pricing has been adjusted post pocket 6k, at least for the s35 model, pretty sure it was announced at $3995, they seem to have dropped The MFT mount option, which was mainly for the speedbooster crowd, but I was seriously considering that option for certain native manual lenses that cover s35.

In 5 years the under $10,000 pro video camera market will be in this order.

Z Cam
    Kinefinity
    Black Magic
    Who?

We know most of y'all aren't real pros though cuz yer using speed boosters.

Every where ya turn somebody is sayin how much better the 4k with a speed booster is than the 6k.