Thread: Why I won't be ordering the Blackmagic Pocket 6K?

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by John Brawley View Post
    Dunno about that.

m43 is the only open format. L mount isn't. E mount isn't. It locks you in to one or two brands of camera. You can't buy any e mount camera that isn't made by Sony. So far Leica aren't letting anyone else play in L mount aside from Panasonic, whom they have a history of co-development with...

If you want the most open format for mounting the largest possible number of lenses, then m43 is it.
    I'll take your word for it. I have never thought about the m43 mount. My comment was about the m43 SENSOR SIZE. m43 mount is not synonymous with m43 sensor size. Common mistake. JVC has a camera that combines a s35 sensor with a m43 mount.

Of course m43 has been "dying" for years. I seem to recall a great series of threads on DPreview about it a few years ago....
    The life of lenses is measured in decades. m43 size sensors could be still in popular cameras for a few more years. Doesn't mean you won't be stuck with useless optics in 10 years. I really don't have thousands of dollars lying around to replicate my entire lens line up again.

It's an EF mount super 35 pocket cinema camera. That's not existed before in BMD's lineup.

It's not an upgrade. It's not being sold as one. It's a different tier camera based on the same concept.

By the way being a larger sensor meant it now goes to 6K.

It's freaking cheap at $2495.

EF mount RAW ProRes cFast / USC-C / SD media shooting 6K. What else is there really that even comes close that you can buy right now ?

JB
    The mounts are one thing BM gets right.

Panasonic L mount. No thank you.

Sigma L mount. No thank you.

They'll get a few more bucks from higher profit margin L lenses but they won't get a camera sale from me.

I have BM cameras partly because they do m4/3 and Canon lenses. Of which I have plenty of.

It's a no brainer.

I hope the lens mount doesn't flex under certain conditions on this body.

Other than that this is a great addition to their line up.

EF mount is lame. why not keep it m4/3 or even the EOS R? Just limits the possibilities of using different lenses.

They could easily put this sensor in the MFT body. ZCam is planning to make that option available on the super35 model they are coming out with. It would have to be limited to 4k resolutions when using electronic mft lenses, but there are lots of manual lenses that cover super35 as well as all adapted glass. Speed booster would do true full frame. MFT can adapt to EF and PL. I get EF native for those guys but for a cinema camera a universal shallow mount would be much ore useful.

Since I can't afford to get this one right away, I hope they'll see the light and make that option available down the line.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Well, the app is only available for Mac OS. I'm on a Windows system as well as many others. I'm confident that I have the hardware to handle it but it's good to run and see what the benchmark is with the app. When is the Windows version coming out?
    "Soon"... maybe around the same time as the BRAW player for Windows. I'm not holding my breath. :-)

Shawn

Quote Originally Posted by j_walk83 View Post
    EF mount is lame. why not keep it m4/3 or even the EOS R? Just limits the possibilities of using different lenses.
    He stated it in the video... "because EF was most requested." Or something like that. If you really want m43 get the 4k.

My very early opinion is they both seem like nice cameras. Pick the one that works for you, but be sure to let them know what your "dream camera" is. Looks like they respond to feed back.

Sorry, I'm just happy we are seeing native EF s35 high resolution cameras drifting down into the affordable range. Canon should have done something in a prosumer package with 4k and DPAF at close to this price. Shame on them.

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Well, the app is only available for Mac OS. I'm on a Windows system as well as many others. I'm confident that I have the hardware to handle it but it's good to run and see what the benchmark is with the app. When is the Windows version coming out?
    Probably never. Windows folks can just upgrade the processor, toss in some more RAM, toss in an m.2 drive, toss in a graphics card, or whatever. System not initially supporting 6k braw isn't a fatal error on MSFT!

Jus' trollin' apple folks!

Not if you already have a number of EF glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by ShawnMi View Post
    "Soon"... maybe around the same time as the BRAW player for Windows. I'm not holding my breath. :-)

Shawn
    Blackmagic RAW Player for Windows is in the v6.5 update which you can download now.

Agreed, would have loved to use my RF glass on this thing. Canon is clearly moving in that direction, Komodo is going to use the RF mount. They could have gone RF and used the EF to RF adapter to still support all the EF glass. A clear over sight here when it looks like canon will be announcing tons of amazing RF glass. Even with those shortcomings, my 6K pocket will arrive on Monday.