Thread: Tilta P4K Cage clone for dirt cheap

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Tilta P4K Cage clone for dirt cheap 
    Stumbled upon this new cage on Ebay. Really nice price.

Looks to be an almost exact replica of the Tilta cage, aside from the placement of some of the holes near the ports.

s-l1600.jpg

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283530520006

Quote Originally Posted by redshift View Post
    Stumbled upon this new cage on Ebay. Really nice price.
    Tilta cage is $99.00. This is $69.99. I'm not going to buy a Chinese knock off on Ebay in order to save $30 on a $1,300 camera... or a $1,000 camera if you back out the price of Resolve.

There is no need to elect an ignorant crazy president. Just stop buying knock off Chinese crap.

Besides Tilta is putting out all sorts of compatible accessories. They look like they are really supporting the camera. Just buy their stuff and rest assured you will have compatibility.

Thanks anyway. It is nice to know what is going on out there.

I was going to reply something similar. The base cage of the tilts system is no that much more, it is all the accessories for that gets steep. If you want to add any of that stuff down the line there is no point cheaping out and risking not being compatible.

Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post
    Tilta cage is $99.00. This is $69.99. I'm not going to buy a Chinese knock off on Ebay in order to save $30 on a $1,300 camera... or a $1,000 camera if you back out the price of Resolve.

There is no need to elect an ignorant crazy president. Just stop buying knock off Chinese crap.

Besides Tilta is putting out all sorts of compatible accessories. They look like they are really supporting the camera. Just buy their stuff and rest assured you will have compatibility.

People have been buying smallrig equipment for years from China. It's only $10 more. Aluminum is aluminum. Politics is irrelevant and annoying. Keep it on CNN's comment section

Quote Originally Posted by VidShooter View Post

Tilta,AFAIK, is a Chinese company, so a Chinese knock off by a Chinese company is, to some degree, poetic justice (although you probably won't hear them bitching like some U.S manufacturers, who having shifted their production to China and shafted their U.S employees, struggle to defend what is sometimes dubious international IP). Just sayin'.
    The Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera - what it says on the box!

Nationalistic comments backfired classic style
    Comeone Vidshooter, show me a Tilta Pocket 4k cage that is not a "Chinese crap"?

Why save 30 Bucks ... for a 1300 camera (with lens and other stuff even more)?

If you are going to use the camerea often you have to handle the cage every single time. It is
    is your hands, it has to feel good. You are mounting things to it. It is super important that everything fits.
    I choose 8 SInn because I need the holes on the top. It is expensive... but I am going to use
    the camera for the next 3, 4, 5, years. maybe more. So I donīt care if is spend 200 Bucks vs. 100 Bucks.
    I need a "round cage" which feels good when I am holding it.

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    People have been buying smallrig equipment for years from China. It's only $10 more. Aluminum is aluminum. Politics is irrelevant and annoying. Keep it on CNN's comment section
    As someone with an engineering degree in mechanical engineering I can tell you that Aluminum isn't Aluminum. If you would make your cage out of pure Aluminum, you would be in for a surprise. Only Aluminum alloys increase the strength of the material and there are many different alloys. For example the tensile strength of the best alloys is 3-5 times higher than pure Aluminum.
    For higher grade Al alloys the hardening time is much longer than for lower grade. It takes some technical effort to make the heat treatment as evenly as possible. Brinell hardness can be 6-7 times higher than pure Aluminum.
    Then surface treatment by anodizing makes the surface more scratch resistant - a thicker layer takes longer and is more difficult to produce.
    And at last manufacturing a cage to tight tolerance is much more expensive than to relaxed tolerances.

So no: Aluminum isn't Aluminum.

I thought Tilta WAS the cheap alternative cage already...
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

I use a lot of SmallRig gear and generally like it a lot, but agree that all aluminum isn't the same. My SmallRig Manfrotto 501 plate (longer one, maybe 7") has to be tightened just right on the bottom of my Ursa Mini Pro or it will flex and not slide into the VCT shoulder plate, because of the flex.

My buddy's Zacuto VCT plate doesn't have this problem--it's extremely rigid and slides like butter into the mount.