Thread: Ball Head

1. #1 Ball Head 
    Hey,

Anyone knows a solid ball head that won't break the bank and can hold an ifootage shark slider with an Ursa Mini on top? I've tried a few ball heads and they all tilt when I have the camera on one side of the slider... Is there an easy solution to get this to work? I know I could just attach the slider to the tripod, but the ball head would allow me to adjust inclination immediately...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by david evans View Post
    Hey,

Anyone knows a solid ball head that won't break the bank and can hold an ifootage shark slider with an Ursa Mini on top? I've tried a few ball heads and they all tilt when I have the camera on one side of the slider... Is there an easy solution to get this to work? I know I could just attach the slider to the tripod, but the ball head would allow me to adjust inclination immediately...

Thanks
    these ballheads are very good for the price. quality far higher than this price range, compares with the Kirk and RRS and are half the price. they come 3 different sizes, I use the mid and largest for my stills- and sometimes use it to hold my G2 with static shots.

https://photogear.co.nz/sirui-k-40x-ball-head.html
    Paul Ross Jones

-------------------------
    www.instagram.com/paulrossjones/

www.paulrossjones.com

Wow that is some seriously beefy ball head, had no idea they made them that strong. I use tripods with 100mm bowls, so no big deal to level when using a slider. I just separate the head from the bowl, put slider on bowl and head on slider. Good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by paulrossjones View Post
    these ballheads are very good for the price. quality far higher than this price range, compares with the Kirk and RRS and are half the price. they come 3 different sizes, I use the mid and largest for my stills- and sometimes use it to hold my G2 with static shots.

https://photogear.co.nz/sirui-k-40x-ball-head.html
    Do you think you can use this on a monopod to carry the G2? I have a Benro monopod with a load capacity of 44lbs. I like to get a ball head on it to carry a G2 on a VCT plate and a 35mm Roki and V-mount Battery.

I've been looking at this one.
    https://www.adorama.com/3ltah360grey.html

Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Do you think you can use this on a monopod to carry the G2? I have a Benro monopod with a load capacity of 44lbs. I like to get a ball head on it to carry a G2 on a VCT plate and a 35mm Roki and V-mount Battery.
    Monopods with a ballhead is a bit awkward- as when the loosen they flop down. Im not sure what is a better solution though. I do have a levelling head like in the pic, that might be better as it doesn't have a complete range of movement. but I haven't tried this yet.

Sunwayfoto_DYH_66i_Leveling_Base_886344.jpg
    Paul Ross Jones

-------------------------
    www.instagram.com/paulrossjones/

www.paulrossjones.com

Thanks Paul. I'll research more to see if the leveling head will do the trick. Right now I got the monopod directly attached to the VCT plate that has my G2 mounted on. Since it has feet, the monopod gives me good tilt motion but no pan. If this head will do and can carry the load, it might be it. I like using the monopod since, unlike a tripod, it is easy to carry and move around with the G2... a true stick.

You're not going to get good pan/tilt motion with a ball head, no matter how good or beefy it is. You need a fluid head if you're going to do pans. They all attach to the flat mount of a monopod, just remove the half-ball if it has one.

Even with a good monopod and fluidhead, the feet better be solid or you're going to struggle to get good movement. I actually got better pans the last time I used a monopod when I didn't use the feet and just kept it in "stick mode". I have a sirui monopod.

Yeah, that's why I'm not convince any of the ball head will work. I have an Benro S8 fluid head but its too big for the monopod and heavy. The S6 may not carry the weight of the G2 with lens and battery.

I don't struggle to get movement with the Benro monopod I have and the feet just helps with the balance but by no means should be left unattended. I always hold the monopod and angle it slowly. It's not intended to replace my tripod. I still bring the big tripod with me in the trunk but the monopod makes it convenient when I'm hiking, climbing, or with travels.