Thread: Ball Head

Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1 Ball Head 
    Senior Member david evans's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    728
    Hey,

    Anyone knows a solid ball head that won't break the bank and can hold an ifootage shark slider with an Ursa Mini on top? I've tried a few ball heads and they all tilt when I have the camera on one side of the slider... Is there an easy solution to get this to work? I know I could just attach the slider to the tripod, but the ball head would allow me to adjust inclination immediately...

    Thanks
    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by david evans View Post
    Hey,

    Anyone knows a solid ball head that won't break the bank and can hold an ifootage shark slider with an Ursa Mini on top? I've tried a few ball heads and they all tilt when I have the camera on one side of the slider... Is there an easy solution to get this to work? I know I could just attach the slider to the tripod, but the ball head would allow me to adjust inclination immediately...

    Thanks
    these ballheads are very good for the price. quality far higher than this price range, compares with the Kirk and RRS and are half the price. they come 3 different sizes, I use the mid and largest for my stills- and sometimes use it to hold my G2 with static shots.

    https://photogear.co.nz/sirui-k-40x-ball-head.html
    Paul Ross Jones


    -------------------------
    www.instagram.com/paulrossjones/

    www.paulrossjones.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    975
    Wow that is some seriously beefy ball head, had no idea they made them that strong. I use tripods with 100mm bowls, so no big deal to level when using a slider. I just separate the head from the bowl, put slider on bowl and head on slider. Good to go.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,241
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrossjones View Post
    these ballheads are very good for the price. quality far higher than this price range, compares with the Kirk and RRS and are half the price. they come 3 different sizes, I use the mid and largest for my stills- and sometimes use it to hold my G2 with static shots.

    https://photogear.co.nz/sirui-k-40x-ball-head.html
    Do you think you can use this on a monopod to carry the G2? I have a Benro monopod with a load capacity of 44lbs. I like to get a ball head on it to carry a G2 on a VCT plate and a 35mm Roki and V-mount Battery.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,241
    I've been looking at this one.
    https://www.adorama.com/3ltah360grey.html
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Posts
    154
    Quote Originally Posted by EYu View Post
    Do you think you can use this on a monopod to carry the G2? I have a Benro monopod with a load capacity of 44lbs. I like to get a ball head on it to carry a G2 on a VCT plate and a 35mm Roki and V-mount Battery.
    Monopods with a ballhead is a bit awkward- as when the loosen they flop down. Im not sure what is a better solution though. I do have a levelling head like in the pic, that might be better as it doesn't have a complete range of movement. but I haven't tried this yet.

    Sunwayfoto_DYH_66i_Leveling_Base_886344.jpg
    Paul Ross Jones


    -------------------------
    www.instagram.com/paulrossjones/

    www.paulrossjones.com
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,241
    Thanks Paul. I'll research more to see if the leveling head will do the trick. Right now I got the monopod directly attached to the VCT plate that has my G2 mounted on. Since it has feet, the monopod gives me good tilt motion but no pan. If this head will do and can carry the load, it might be it. I like using the monopod since, unlike a tripod, it is easy to carry and move around with the G2... a true stick.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    452
    You're not going to get good pan/tilt motion with a ball head, no matter how good or beefy it is. You need a fluid head if you're going to do pans. They all attach to the flat mount of a monopod, just remove the half-ball if it has one.

    Even with a good monopod and fluidhead, the feet better be solid or you're going to struggle to get good movement. I actually got better pans the last time I used a monopod when I didn't use the feet and just kept it in "stick mode". I have a sirui monopod.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Posts
    2,241
    Yeah, that's why I'm not convince any of the ball head will work. I have an Benro S8 fluid head but its too big for the monopod and heavy. The S6 may not carry the weight of the G2 with lens and battery.

    I don't struggle to get movement with the Benro monopod I have and the feet just helps with the balance but by no means should be left unattended. I always hold the monopod and angle it slowly. It's not intended to replace my tripod. I still bring the big tripod with me in the trunk but the monopod makes it convenient when I'm hiking, climbing, or with travels.
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Manfrotto Tripod 055XPROB + 496RC2 Ball Head for sale!
    By Liszön! in forum For Sale / Want to Buy
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-20-2018, 12:50 PM
  2. Affordable Half Ball Riser for slider/fluid head?
    By Ben in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-31-2015, 06:53 PM
  3. Covered Wagon & the China Ball
    By Sage in forum Cinematography
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 12-23-2013, 10:55 PM
  4. Panasonic drops the ball again with the AF100A
    By Brian@202020 in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 11-06-2012, 03:06 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-17-2012, 01:16 AM
Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •