Thread: Your Favorite Frugal Camera?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1 Your Favorite Frugal Camera? 
    Hey there! I'm interested in learning about your guys favorite budget friendly video and or photo camera. I wanted to pick up a cam that would be used for a 3rd angle for certain shooting situations. I also wanted a camera that I can wear around my neck or throw in my pocket for daily snaps. I ended up going with a Lumix GX85. I never looked at this camera in the past since it is a few years old but I happened to stumble across it because of it's inexpensive price tag. I want to bring awareness to this camera since not many people talk about it and at the same time I want to hear your guys picks. Right now I'm really digging this camera and have been for the past couple of months. I made a video just showcasing it's features and some clips, does anyone else have any similiar videos or words they can share as well on this thread? Thanks!

    Reply With Quote  
     

  2. #2  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,001
    The GX85 has always been a fave "frugal" camera ever since it dropped to less than $500. (It's funny that the bundles with a lens are cheaper than just the body at B&H.)

    If we cut it off at say $600-ish and it must shoot 4K then here are some others:

    Panasonic G7
    Fujifilm X-T20
    Olympus E-M10 Mark III
    Canon M50 ($629)

    But for a few hundred more you can get some really better cameras (in my opinion) like the Sony a6400 or Fujifilm X-T30.

    Also, an honorable mention to two nice little large-sensor HD cameras...Sony a6000 and a5100:

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...s_digital.html

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...s_digital.html

    And of course you have all of the first Blackmagics for less than $1K.

    The summer of 2014 had the Pocket for $499...that was sweet.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  3. #3  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    452
    My favorite frugal camera is a t3i with magic lantern. Can be had for around 200 bucks.
    Reply With Quote  
     

  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by NorBro View Post
    The GX85 has always been a fave "frugal" camera ever since it dropped to less than $500. (It's funny that the bundles with a lens are cheaper than just the body at B&H.)

    If we cut it off at say $600-ish and it must shoot 4K then here are some others:

    Panasonic G7
    Fujifilm X-T20
    Olympus E-M10 Mark III
    Canon M50 ($629)

    But for a few hundred more you can get some really better cameras (in my opinion) like the Sony a6400 or Fujifilm X-T30.

    Also, an honorable mention to two nice little large-sensor HD cameras...Sony a6000 and a5100:

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...s_digital.html

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...s_digital.html

    And of course you have all of the first Blackmagics for less than $1K.

    The summer of 2014 had the Pocket for $499...that was sweet.
    Good suggestions. The XT20 is a great deal, the m50 is interesting too, I wish canons mirrorless cams would've kept the ef mount to bypass adapters for native ef lenses, but it's all good. Did they really have pockets for that cheap? That's insane!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    My favorite frugal camera is a t3i with magic lantern. Can be had for around 200 bucks.
    Huzzuh! What an insane price for a beautiful little inexpensive camera. I love the good ol trusty t3i
    Reply With Quote  
     

  6. #6  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    Long Island
    Posts
    2,001
    Quote Originally Posted by Spence500 View Post
    Good suggestions. The XT20 is a great deal, the m50 is interesting too, I wish canons mirrorless cams would've kept the ef mount to bypass adapters for native ef lenses, but it's all good. Did they really have pockets for that cheap? That's insane!
    Only for a month or so: https://nofilmschool.com/2014/07/bla...ra-500-cheaper
    Reply With Quote  
     

  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Spence500 View Post
    Hey there! I'm interested in learning about your guys favorite budget friendly video and or photo camera. I wanted to pick up a cam that would be used for a 3rd angle for certain shooting situations. I also wanted a camera that I can wear around my neck or throw in my pocket for daily snaps. I ended up going with a Lumix GX85. I never looked at this camera in the past since it is a few years old but I happened to stumble across it because of it's inexpensive price tag. I want to bring awareness to this camera since not many people talk about it and at the same time I want to hear your guys picks. Right now I'm really digging this camera and have been for the past couple of months. I made a video just showcasing it's features and some clips, does anyone else have any similiar videos or words they can share as well on this thread? Thanks!

    My fave large sensor frugal camera is the EOS M, bought one for about a hundred from the US through eBay, and the stock video quality is quite good, particularly for talking head shots or when used with vintage lenses. Magic Lantern adds a myriad of RAW video modes, with reliability being finicky and rolling shutter a nightmare - but still, its a $100 camera!

    I've also got a few JVC small sensor cameras, and while dynamic range is razor thin, their 36mbs 1080p video modes save a ton of information (compared to similar models) and can be cleaned up and graded quite well. Where lighting is done professionally, they do really shine - and can be found for next to nothing on ebay if you look hard enough. I own the PX10 and the X900 and they're ideal for multicam shots.

    My BMPCC can also be considered frugal, mind you, very happy with it and for my needs, the quality is more then enough! The highlight roloff and motion are unmatched in my (limited) opinion even today, and whenever I can afford to take my time to frame and focus, it's my goto camera. Had knowledgeable viewers genuinly ask if I was shooting super8 film!
    Reply With Quote  
     

  8. #8  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Virginia, US
    Posts
    872
    I know it's been said already, but I'm still very impressed with the original Pocket camera which can be had for cheap on eBay. I took mine out for fun today with just the 7Artisans 25mm and a K&F vari ND.









    Reply With Quote  
     

  9. #9  
    Senior Member DPStewart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2015
    Location
    The Puget Sound
    Posts
    3,679
    Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    My favorite frugal camera is a t3i with magic lantern. Can be had for around 200 bucks.
    Yup. I have the same.

    But seriously... the Original Pocket IS now the top "frugal" option.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine
    Reply With Quote  
     

  10. #10  
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    452
    Agreed. The only downside to the HD fairchild sensor in those cameras is that their character is quite unique and baked in. It can be hard to match them with more modern cine cameras.

    Granted it's even harder to match a cheap dslr XD, but the point still stands
    Reply With Quote  
     

Similar Threads

  1. Favorite Narrative Films of 2015
    By Sage in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 01-17-2016, 11:27 PM
  2. your favorite nas-system?
    By stip in forum Workflow
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-11-2015, 07:55 AM
  3. Favorite Filmmaking Sites
    By Monsonmon in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-20-2015, 11:32 AM
  4. Favorite Lens for BMCC
    By John Richard in forum Lens Discussion
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-16-2013, 11:37 AM
  5. Post your favorite short films
    By David R in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-03-2012, 06:09 AM
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Bookmarks
Bookmarks
Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •