Thread: BMPCC *new* SanDisk Extreme Pro compatibilitÓ issues

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    The main issue is that cards that should work do not because of a firmware issue won't allow them to mount. The new series sandisk can't be tested because they won't mount in the cameras. Presumably they do mount an every other UHS-1 compliant device and camera out there or Sandisk would be at fault and would have to correct their firmware. The original pocket is eol so probably no hope for firmware patch, but the micro and video assist 5" are still for sale with no reasonable available media if they are forced to come up with a fix for current products maybe the solution could work for the pocket.

A while back I saw a video on cheap sd cards for the P4k and the reviewer found that the Extreme Pro 170 worked well for a lot of settings, performed better than some more expensive UHS-II cards. These cards should work, it's just that our cameras can't see them. We aren't a big enough market for Sandisk to produce new old stock for us. BM should step up and write a few lines of code to allow the camera to see the cards. This is really a goodwill issue and correcting it would go a long way towards maintaining brand loyalty. Asking someone to shell out for a card the costs nearly as much as the used market value of the camera body is not the answer. The only reason that card is even available is that it is overkill for most users.

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    The main issue is that cards that should work do not because of a firmware issue won't allow them to mount. The new series sandisk can't be tested because they won't mount in the cameras. Presumably they do mount an every other UHS-1 compliant device and camera out there or Sandisk would be at fault and would have to correct their firmware. The original pocket is eol so probably no hope for firmware patch, but the micro and video assist 5" are still for sale with no reasonable available media if they are forced to come up with a fix for current products maybe the solution could work for the pocket.

A while back I saw a video on cheap sd cards for the P4k and the reviewer found that the Extreme Pro 170 worked well for a lot of settings, performed better than some more expensive UHS-II cards. These cards should work, it's just that our cameras can't see them. We aren't a big enough market for Sandisk to produce new old stock for us. BM should step up and write a few lines of code to allow the camera to see the cards. This is really a goodwill issue and correcting it would go a long way towards maintaining brand loyalty. Asking someone to shell out for a card the costs nearly as much as the used market value of the camera body is not the answer. The only reason that card is even available is that it is overkill for most users.
    Well said! Besides, this is also a problem with the Micro Cinema camera which is still being sold. While I won't speculate if the fix requires simply a few lines of code, BlackMagic should definitely address the issue, particularly for the Micro Cinema camera, as it leaves users without access to it's more desirable and publicised feature.

On second thoughts, maybe the reason no firmware update will be forthcoming is that BlackMagic might have bound themselves to remove CDNG raw from their firmware due to Red trolling them legally, to avoid lengthy and costly court battles. Remember they removed CDNG from ALL their current cameras which still receive regular firmware updates.

Maybe if they release new firmware to fix the SDXC card issue with the BMPCC and BMMCC they might be in violation of this agreement.....unless they also remove RAW... but again, I agree 101% with you I'm not going to purchase cards which cost 60% of what my camera cost! Managed to scavenge a few used 64Gb Extreme Pro cards on fleebay after burning the midnight oil for way too many nights!
    Last edited by SottoTerra; 07-24-2019 at 06:48 AM.

Never thought about a firmware update affecting cdng, but I suppose. Maybe while they're at it we could get braw lol, not holding my breath. FU Red and your frivolous lawsuits everyone knows redcode isn't RAW either.

So are there any cards that we can buy now that mount and are able to record in ProRes? This whole thing is so confusing!

Quote Originally Posted by PeopleCanFly View Post
    So are there any cards that we can buy now that mount and are able to record in ProRes? This whole thing is so confusing!
    The problem is quite simple really.... The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera and Micro Cinema Camera can only record RAW to the SanDisk Extreme Pro cards. While other SD cards come close or slightly superceed the Extreme Pros, for some reason, they still can't manage to record RAW reliably. About a year ago, Sandisk updated the Extreme Pro cards to V30 specifications, and both the Blackmagic Pocket and Micro can't recognize them anymore - they will flash the 'no sdcard' error. My little EOS M (first version, bought for a pittance on ebay) will happily recognize them, and record RAW video all day, as will any other device I use them with, but not the BlackMagics!

Considering they're the only cards known which Blackmagic recommends for RAW, and to my knowledge, no other card has managed this consistently, this is a big problem as there nowhere to buy new cards for these cameras, and one needs to resort to the second hand market. This only affects RAW, not Prores, any fast card which can be recognized will manage Prores just fine. It's particularly bad for Micro owners, as it's a recent camera which is still being sold.

Hopefully Sandisk or Blackmagic will offer a solution in the near future.....

According to a user over at the BMD forum, these are working for him in RAW on his Micro.

I figured I'd get a couple and see, but I haven't done that yet.

https://www.amazon.com/Integral-Ulti...y&sr=8-1-fkmr2

https://www.amazon.com/Integral-256G...y&sr=8-2-fkmr2
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Are there viable alternatives even for just ProRes? I read the the linked thread of cards tested and it didn't seem promising.

Just bit the bullet and ordered a sandisk 512g

Man, that's a a big honking card

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    According to a user over at the BMD forum, these are working for him in RAW on his Micro.

I noticed there is also a new v30 version of these, probably should avoid ha ha. I would try out, but Amazon.ca says a month to deliver, and not fulfilled by Amazon, so no free return if no good. If you take a chance, let us know results.

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post

Okay... I ordered up one of these. I'll put it through the wringer as soon as it shows up.

Hopefully I will see some decent results.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine