Thread: The new MFT Anamorphic Lens, and it is only US$ 3250.00

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 The new MFT Anamorphic Lens, and it is only US$ 3250.00 
    I bet some of us here might have seen this lens themselves at Cinegear2019:

https://vzlens.com/product/vz40/

It looks interesting and might be good after all. Anyone got a chance to attend CineGear2019?

Can't wait to hear any of you guys tried this out or already putting a pre-order for it.

Thanks

Ezmeer

If only BM would make a camera that can fully take advantage of it. The only cameras that can record full height 4/3 mft are the gh5 and ZCam e2. These look really good though, if I could afford them I might take a chance on the ZCam, it has ProRes now at least, some sort of raw is supposed to be coming, time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by dop16mm View Post
    If only BM would make a camera that can fully take advantage of it. The only cameras that can record full height 4/3 mft are the gh5 and ZCam e2. These look really good though, if I could afford them I might take a chance on the ZCam, it has ProRes now at least, some sort of raw is supposed to be coming, time will tell.
    THat new set of ZCams looks really interesting. ESPECIALLY if you need a small footprint.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

It looks like garbage.

Quote Originally Posted by RomanStone View Post
    It looks like garbage.
    You referring to the ZCam camera or the lens itself? you managed to give a try at CineGear2019?

I spent some time with them at CineGear... which can be a difficult environment to judge the character of a lens. That said to me the lens seemed harsh. Maybe it's something that can be worked out in grading but the image from field monitor did not have a smooth feel to it. I also spent time at both the Atlas and the Caldwell booths. They both had a creamy look that I like along with the unique personality that anamorphic glass gives. All of the lenses seemed sharp. I'm not sure if it was just me but at the time I just didn't care for the Vazen's look.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Harrington View Post
    I spent some time with them at CineGear... which can be a difficult environment to judge the character of a lens. That said to me the lens seemed harsh. Maybe it's something that can be worked out in grading but the image from field monitor did not have a smooth feel to it. I also spent time at both the Atlas and the Caldwell booths. They both had a creamy look that I like along with the unique personality that anamorphic glass gives. All of the lenses seemed sharp. I'm not sure if it was just me but at the time I just didn't care for the Vazen's look.
    Thanks Marshall for the insights. Really appreciate it. I guess the difficult part of choosing an Anamorphic lens would be to get the ones that can still be sharp at T-stop less than 4. Most of the selection (including the adapters) are only sharp above 5.

Anyway, got to wait a bit more to see how it performs by the end of this year.

Will never understand thy hype around anamorhic lenses.
    I tried to watch "The Prestige" again and the anamorphic look was extremly distracting.

Quote Originally Posted by S_Berger View Post
    Will never understand thy hype around anamorhic lenses.
    I tried to watch "The Prestige" again and the anamorphic look was extremly distracting.
    I agree, most of the time I don't get it. But every once in a while the optics really catches my attention.

Last year there was a spot made for Uber. It was right after they had all the issues and had a new CEO and the footage was a testimonial from him. I was struck by the opening shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMZyw5lPKgE

For me when it comes to optics I like sharpness. More important or at least just as important is how it goes in and out of focus. For me it's one of the things I think about when I think of the character of a lens. I just love how this shot is in terms of the out of focus and though I don't know for sure, I'm not sure if it's anamorphic or not. What I sure of is that I really like it. The lens itself made a difference.

The official vids on their website look fine. The little girl reminds me of when I use my kids for camera tests. Are we done yet dad, so bored.