Thread: Pocket 4K dissapointment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Pocket 4K dissapointment 
    Had one for this weekend as a test and can say nice things BUT i will not have the courage to use it on paid jobs. Battery indicator was 65% and then next secnd BOOM shut down. No warning,no nothing. Nice toy but no courage to show up on a paid job with this one.

I set it up to show voltage, which seems more reliable but is more difficult to understand. And for the kind of work I do, there's no courage needed for using it: if the battery dies during a shot (as it did this past weekend) I just say dead battery and we shoot another take. If you have a team of 30 people you definitely don't want that to happen, but if you work like that often, the p4k is probably not the camera you want to use anyway.

Just shot a high glossy docu in Africa for 3 weeks (paid job) - not a problem so far.

I've been trusting and using the Pocket4K on paid projects ranging from hundreds to thousands of dollars just fine since day one with zero problems.
    Just do proper preparation and testing and find what works for you. If you are getting paid to do this job you should know your gear and its limitations.

If you want to use the internal battery get original Canon Batteries that will have the proper indication.
    3rd party batteries (including the one that comes with the camera) won't.
    You should be looking at the voltage instead - this will work with any battery.
    The question is, why would you use junk $10 batteries on your precious jobs to begin with?
    You can get used Canon batteries anyways for as low as $20 or get new ones for around $60. They last an hour and will properly display the percentage.

Then, of course you can use it with external battery like you did on any other cinema camera, including the first pocket.
    Like we all did on the original Cinema Camera 2.5K although it had an internal battery. Treat the internal battery as a convenience for hot swapping external batteries - this is what is designed for.
    Reliable NPF solutions cost under $100 for a plate, dummy and a set of 4 batteries which last 2 hours each.
    Those can be nicely attached on gimbals without any cage.

That said, even when shooting casually (mainly rehearsals to big shoots) I just bring 3~4 original Canon batteries and never had the slightest problem. Accurate powering for about one hour each.

The solutions are so easy. Any kind of real job has much harder and more important problems and logistics. Figuring out how to power the camera properly and making sure you are using reliable solutions is very basic. Using cheap-ass batteries and then complaining about the camera is well... user error. Unless you treat this as a consumer product of course and you expect it to work like an iPhone or microwave oven.

I'd suggest you leave the paying jobs to the pros who plan jobs with the appropriate resources.
    The Blackmagic Design Cinema Camera - what it says on the box!

I don't have the P4k yet, but what I always did with the original was use a 12v out NPF plate with a battery inside the camera. It would always read 100%. When the battery indicator started dropping I knew the external battery was dead and time to swap. I would expect the new one should work the same. Test a battery solution that works for you. Paid work at a certain level would be v-mount I imagine.

lol.
    You can switch from Percentage to volt! If its drop down to 6.4 or 6.2 ... replace the battery.
    I tested many batteries and got 50 - 60 minutes. You cn also use NP-F or V-mount or whatever.
    why do I even comment? Ive seen professional videos done with the pocket 4k so it is not
    a toy at all.

I have used the PCC4k for paid jobs since October 2018. Yeah, some times it happend during run and gun that I forgot to change the battery and the camera shut down - but that was never when filming something important because when doing that I am very alert about the battery status. I have 5 genuine Canon batteries, and 3 cheaper ones as a last backup. When doing longer interview sessions I always use a V-mount battery.

That's more of a Canon battery issue than the actual camera in terms of displaying percentage. Canon doesn't give out their secret sauce for displaying proper percentage. Switch to voltage for accurate battery life display, replace the battery when it gets to around 6.4V to 6.3V.

Also, unless you're on a on a gimbal or other type of rig, it's best to use a external battery source for more battery life on most shoots. I get about 3-hours of continuous use from a single 95wh v-mount, or can last almost an entire day of shooting when keeping the camera off during down-time.

I would be worried if I hired someone for a paid shoot and they didn't make an effort plan their power solution accordingly too.
    Last edited by iammuc; 06-03-2019 at 08:48 PM.