Thread: Blackmagic support is funny. Not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Blackmagic support is funny. Not. 
    I'm a longtime Blackmagic camera user but I have to say, their customer support is kind of ridiculous.

Are they seriously asking for a video when someone tells them that their camera has a problem instead of just issuing an RMA?

Personally, I was screwed 1 day before leaving for NY (I'm from Europe) when I found out that the DC input (nor usb-c) isn't working (I was using LP-E6 chargers up to that point), so instead of having the camera with me I had to travel without it and rent locally, but that's not the problem.

The problem is that they request footage of the issue when the camera is boxed and ready to RMA, and I'm in another continent (and will be away for more than a month).

Should I just contact Paypal and make a dispute?

The camera was originally bought from Photocine in Paris, but it is my understanding that they aren't involved in the return/ replacement process, am I assuming correctly?

Any other recommendations, since having my 75 year old parents (or girlfriend, or friends, etc) re-opening the box, and try to record the issue isn't a valid option.

Any help or recommendation before exploding would be greatly appreciated.

Most retailers will offer a swap over period if you have a dud camera, something between 14 days and 30 usually.

Is the camera bought within that period ?

If it's outside of that period then the repair / replacement is on BMD. Have you tried going back to them to explain the situation ? That your issue is with a power connector and not the cameras recording capabilities ? Seems like there's a mmi-understanding there...

JB

Thanks for the reply JB

That's what I was most frustrated with, why waste more time to make a video showing the camera not charging, do I actually have to prove my camera has a problem? Have we reached that level of idiocracy?

Unfortunately I'm at about 40 days now (bought in 4/4/19), I've also tried contacting the retailer I bought it from and waiting for their answer.

Have you gone back to them ? Or is this just the initial response. I find it hard to insist they are asking for a video file for an issue to do with the power input. Which office are you dealing with ?

JB

I'm still waiting on their follow up, I was honestly just dumbfounded by the proposed process and was wondering if I had another option or if this is common practice from their customer support? If it was a weird or complex issue I'd understand and even appreciate their reply, but for a charging issue?

In any case, I'll wait and see. Thanks again JB, didn't want to create any confusion, I was just trying to understand my options since I never had a similar experience with Blackmagic.

I wouldn't want to name the person I'm talking to publicly, but the message was the following:

"HI,

Thank you for contacting Blackmagic Support.

Sorry to hear about what you are experiencing with your camera.

In order for me to understand and isolate what you are experiencing further can you send me a quick video from a phone or similar displaying the behaviour?

Once I have the above I would be happy to assist you further.

Kind regards"

I had similar experience recently, but with DJI support. My Ronin S stopped working, they asked me for video which I did. Sent it for RMA, it came back after one month and they told me the gimbal is completely fine. My vendor told me, that this is common with DJI. If you really want to have proper RMA, you need to do better video...what?..but my vendor already experienced that DJI told them that product was completely fine but they repaired it but did not admit it. Fortunately it was same for me. They repair it. I believe this video thing is normal today.

Thank you for your input, well I guess lesson learned.

Just record a video showing the problem [ideally BEFORE leaving for another continent ]

I had also the "oportunity" to deal with their support and must say it was DISAPPOINTING. Gave up, bought another brand and moved on.

In my opinion it's on the dealer to help out. Twice I've had issues - one with a Moza Air gimbal and recently with my BMD PCC4K. Both times I took the equipment into the dealer for tech support. On the Moza they gave me a complete product swap to a different brand (plus a partial refund!), on the BMPCC4K, they saw what the problem was (with me present) and sent the camera back to BMD for me.
    Dealer was CVP.

I understand this is all anecdotal but I own dozens of BlackMagic products. I would place their customer service second to only Apple in how well they help resolve any issues. This is to say I’ve been genuinely shocked at how good they are. I guess mileage may vary.