Thread: Is it possible to adapt Leica R and Contax Zeiss to Canon RF mount?

1. #1 Is it possible to adapt Leica R and Contax Zeiss to Canon RF mount? 
    Iím looking at potentially purchasing a set of Leica R or Contax Zeiss lenses. I would initially have the mounts converted to EF but I was wondering down the line when RF takes over EF as the standard Cinema EOS mount, will it be possible to convert these mounts to RF or will I have to use the EF to RF adapter? Just wondering if it is possible just so I know what Iím getting into with a set of Leica R or Contax Zeiss.

Cheers!

The EF to RF adaptor is glass free and of high quality so you shouldn't be worried at all about it. It means you can use your lenses with current cameras and if and when you have the need to use them in RF mount you can simply use that adaptor. The RF adaptor (at least Canon's one) first mounts to the camera then you can switch lenses easily - so you won't need one for each lens. It's like you have an EF mount.
    Just convert your lenses to EF. Leitax offers great permanent EF mounts for both Contax Zeiss and Leica R (Duclos uses those). Simmod offers great permanent EF mounts for both as well.
    Also there is going to be a very long time, if ever, to see the RF mount taking over especially as a standard. While with companies like Blackmagic, EF mount became the kind of secondary cinema camera mount after PL, there is no guarantee the next secondary mount will be Canon's one, especially with the very promising L-Mount out there.

In other words, I would convert to EF and I wouldn't worry about it whatsoever. The procedure is not permanent by the way. It's just three or four screws and you are back to the original (C/Y or R) mount.