Thread: UMP G2 Received

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Here's a quick test I did of the G2 to check out the rolling shutter, so I was a little sloppy with the handheld on purpose. For the quick grade, I used an old Captain Hook LUT, so perhaps the skin is a little too pink with it. Getting good, thick skin color on lighter skinned folk can be very hard. This is something that film always did great job with, especially with movies from the 80s and 90s. I was going for that look.

https://youtu.be/vRkFHu8auW8

...and here is the same test, but with a 50% Alexa LUT...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF-XF01r1bY

Quote Originally Posted by Will Vazquez View Post
    Here's a quick test I did of the G2 to check out the rolling shutter, so I was a little sloppy with the handheld on purpose. For the quick grade, I used an old Captain Hook LUT, so perhaps the skin is a little too pink with it. Getting good, thick skin color on lighter skinned folk can be very hard. This is something that film always did great job with, especially with movies from the 80s and 90s. I was going for that look.

https://youtu.be/vRkFHu8auW8
    The motion cadence on the G2 is hands down the best Iíve ever seen on a sub-$10K camera. Huge improvement over the G1 (which was pretty good). This is up in Alexa territory, and dare I say even better than the Red Dragon?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    This is up in Alexa territory, and dare I say even better than the Red Dragon?
    The color improvements also push it even closer. Pretty remarkable improvements. Too bad sensor filters will void warranty.

...and here is the same test, but with a 50% Alexa LUT...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RF-XF01r1bY
    This is great stuff.
    Last edited by Dan K; 04-27-2019 at 02:15 AM.

Here's another short clip test. Youtube compression doesn't do it justice though.
    https://youtu.be/YnmxMZ8DToI
    Last edited by Will Vazquez; 04-27-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Here's another short clip test. Youtube compression doesn't do it justice thought.
    https://youtu.be/YnmxMZ8DToI
    Nice one thanks for your input Will. If you get the chance and have the enthusiasm :-) could you do some side by side comparisons between the g1 and g2 for whip pans, and skin tone, could be all in just one quick shot and upload the native Braw or prores etc? Sorry for the cheeky request, iím just keen to look into this camera more :-) thanks

Your model is very photogenic!

Dynamic range test with a room lit by a window between the G1 and G2 would be very helpful. Kind of like this comparison between Mavo s35 and Alexa.

DSC09618-1024x668.jpg
    DSC09623-1024x682.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Loblaw View Post
    The motion cadence on the G2 is hands down the best I’ve ever seen on a sub-$10K camera. Huge improvement over the G1 (which was pretty good). This is up in Alexa territory, and dare I say even better than the Red Dragon?
    After using the G2 for a bit as well that's my impression as well. While the easy thing to talk about is the lack of rolling shutter artifacts, the faster readout on the G2 makes the motion look really close to the cameras "up there". That for me is the highlight.

I can't speak of the colors in an absolute way as I don't have a G1 around to compare directly but my direct impression is there is a further "sweetness" to it. Like something is more "cleaned up". As I understand it there is a new/tweaked color filter array in the G2 sensor which might be responsible for this. Do mind, a lot of tests out there for the G1 are in CDNG. BRAW has brought a lot of (very positive in my opinion) changes to the inherent look of the image and those are as true to the G2 as they are to the G1 with BRAW.

Also I do feel the G2 sensor is a bit cleaner noise wise as well. Perhaps in a similar way the Micro Cinema Camera with the improved processing/cooling had a little cleaner image than the original Pocket.
    In my tests in the video below I'm using the G2 at 120/300fps in very dark environments. ISO800 seemed as clean as ISO400 on the Pocket4K (which is exceptionally clean) and pulling to ISO1600+ for ISO800 exposed images also held very well without de-noising.

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    Dynamic range test with a room lit by a window between the G1 and G2 would be very helpful. Kind of like this comparison between Mavo s35 and Alexa.
    Dynamic range should be the same between G1 and G2 sensor wise. Not sure if there is some kind of rolloff tweak in BRAW 1.3 though.

Just to add again to the discussion of the motion cadence of the faster sensor readout. In one word, "cinematic". This word is overused, but when I say cinematic, I mean the way that motion is rendered, where there appears a visual perception of it not being reality. Starting with the RED Epic Dragon, and then to the magical Alexa, digital movies finally began to have that look that mimicked motion picture film stock running through a camera. Both RED and Alexa's motion is a little different to film, but each have their own versions of that so called film-look. The faster readouts of the sensor scan times, were similar looking as to how a film was exposed with 180 degree mechanical shutter. The UM4.6k and the UMP are fantastic cameras, but where missing that film look. They always seemed to look a little video-ish. Well folks, with the G2 no more. And the camera's color is a lot cleaner. Sometimes the G1 and OG 4.6k, looked like there was chromatic aberration on the image, or that the colors where like out of registration slightly, like you get in CMYK printing. The G2's image is super clean. John Brawley mentioned the new RGB Color Filter Array, and now I finally see it.

Here's a few more sloppy shots that I did. Some ProRes, some BRAW, at 23.98, 120 and 300 fps, 180 degree shutter. This is also with a RAWLITE OLPF that I swapped from one of my G1's. The 120 fps and 150 fps out of the G2 looks pristine. the 300 fps, however is a little soft and noisy. With a little noise reduction, it is definitely usable though.

https://youtu.be/Qo9lKsFw_FY

I know some will say that the difference between G1 and G2 is very little, that one can easily grade a G1 to look like G2. This may be true to an extent, but I can also grade my UMP footage to look very close to my Alexa Classic's. But when you play them in motion, there is something to the Alexa that looks different. You can says it's a subtle difference, but people pay $40k more for that subtle difference. I'm not saying that the G2 is like Alexa. But that the subtle difference in the image over the G1 is huge, and that the G2 has moved Blackmagic even closer to having its own version of the motion picture film-look.