Thread: Canon 8-64mm T2.4 MTF S16 QUESTION

1. #1 Canon 8-64mm T2.4 MTF S16 QUESTION 
    I was wondering if you could help me understand something about the Canon 8-64mm T2.4 and other S16 lenses. Most info about using these types of lenses is either geared towards the ORIGINAL Blackmagic pocket (1080) or how to use it on Sony or Red, or Arri in a 2k crop mode. However the NEW BlackMagic Pocket 4k camera is still a S16 sensor but at 4k (double the resolution of it's predecessor)... To the best of my understanding the 2 most important factors in determining lens compatibility is the Image Circle (will it physically cover your sensor) which I believe this lens will cover the MBP4k sensor perfectly and the lesser mentioned but possibly more important MTF (Modulation Transfer Function) with regards to optical quality. Again my understanding is that high quality S16 lenses such as this have and MTF of 80 lp/mm or possibly greater... MY QUESTION -- assuming the lens does indeed cover the BMP4k sensor completely (or mostly) will the MTF be high enough to resolve beautifully on a 4k S16 sensor OR will the image quality start to suffer at a certain point... IF it will start breaking apart would anyone happen to know when? (ie 2k, 2.5, 3k etc) -- Any help in answering this question would be greatly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by terraform View Post
    However the NEW BlackMagic Pocket 4k camera is still a S16 sensor but at 4k (double the resolution of it's predecessor)...
    No it's not. It's a substantially larger MFT sensor.

Image circles:
    Original Pocket Camera = 14.32mm (12.48mm x 7.02mm)
    Pocket 4K = 21.44mm (18.96mm x 10mm)

The URSA Broadcast on the other hand has a S16 sensor with an UHD (3840 x 2160) resolution. I own both that camera and the Canon 8-64mm T2.4. The Canon resolves very nicely on that sensor. Sure, it's an older vintage zoom and it's not perfectly sharp edge to edge wide open, but it still looks great. And it's really sharp in the centre of the image, and sharpens up nicely when stopped down a little. But has a very pleasing character.

I think it's a perfect combination -
    > great 8 x zoom ratio
    > parfocal
    > really well balanced on the shoulder (not front heavy like many other Angenieux & Canon S16 zooms)
    > resolves well
    Last edited by trispembo; 04-14-2019 at 06:31 PM.

Yeah, My bad on that... for some reason I had it in my head that they kept the Sensor size along with the mount from the original version...

FOLLOW UP Question -- when shooting on the BMP4k in UHD or 2k is it possible to use "windowed mode" or a cropped sensor like it is with the RED or ARRI cameras?
    Last edited by terraform; 04-14-2019 at 07:35 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by terraform View Post
    Yeah, My bad on that... for some reason I had it in my head that they kept the Sensor size along with the mount from the original version...

FOLLOW UP Question -- when shooting on the BMP4k in UHD or 2k is it possible to use "windowed mode" or a cropped sensor like it is with the RED or ARRI cameras?
    Yes.

Hi Trispembo, does Ursa Broadcast have the ability to shoot in Log c? This is not possible for the Blackmagic 4K micro cinema I think. That's a problem for projects that require a cinematic look. The sensor also only shoot in 12 stops of dynamic range, correct?

Finally, the BMPPC and the BMMCC, with 13 stops & Lut, remain the most super 16 cameras at Blackmagic amho.

Quote Originally Posted by bmpcc_bel View Post
    Hi Trispembo, does Ursa Broadcast have the ability to shoot in Log c? This is not possible for the Blackmagic 4K micro cinema I think. That's a problem for projects that require a cinematic look. The sensor also only shoot in 12 stops of dynamic range, correct?

Finally, the BMPPC and the BMMCC, with 13 stops & Lut, remain the most super 16 cameras at Blackmagic amho.
    There is no such thing as BM 4K Cinema camera. There is BM Micro Studio camera, which is 4K, and Micro Cinema Camera , which is 1080p/60. Studio does not have internal recording option, neither has LOG function. Ursa Broadcast can shoot LOG.

Correct, the Ursa Broadcast can shoot both Log to ProRes and CDNG Raw. The Micro Cinema camera also can shoot both Log and Raw.
    The issue with the Micro camera, is finding a SD card it will still work with, now that SanDisk has changed its Extreme Pro SD cards.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 05-13-2019 at 12:42 AM.