Thread: Make BMPCC4K truely Cinematic

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dbp View Post
    It's not the camera, and it hasn't been for several generations now.
    Okay go shoot a blockbuster on a t2i then.

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    You can, you give up post control, but if you are careful in camera. Many people prefer the out of the box canon look and can't match that in resolve no matter how hard they try.
    I have a 7d short that in the final YouTube version looks better than most of the stuff I shot on the original pocket.

@dop16mm please show us that

You could, easily. Provided you had top level set design, lighting/grip gear, costumes, actors, locations, etc etc.

a t2i with those will absolutely exceed an Alexa mini with typical amateur skill and means.

because those things are magnitudes more important than the camera.

True to some degree, but not absolute. If this were the case entirely it wouldn't matter what camera productions shot on and Arri wouldn't be the standard.
    Kind of... the Alexa got also a lot of support though because it was weighted and designed to work with existing support/rig equipment and operators/DPs were familiar with the size and shape. "Classical" film crews were able to adopt the Alexa allot easier than competitors. Besides that, most people wouldn't be able to tell the difference between a properly shot original BMCC and Alexa in 75% of situations. I've even done commercial projects where that older 4k BMPC actually looked allot better than Alexa in certain shots (I'm sure resolution played a part though). Remember that Great Camera Shootout from 2012... where the GH2 was actually picked as the best looking? The Alexa is a very good camera. But there was never anything "magical" about it. I've seen a TON of terrible "video-looking" projects shot on it. Like others have pointed out in the thread... the Alexa has such a good reputation for imaging because it's mostly used by really talented crews with a budget.

Not to mention that camera rental is such a blip for a large production, that you might as well get the extra quality and ease of use that crews are used to.

But, to illustrate the main point.

If measuringbetween 1 and 10. 10 being a magnificent hollywood production, and 1 being the lowest grade amateur crap heap.

A top calibre hollywood blockbuster with an Alexa is a 10
    A top calibre hollywood blockbuster with a bmpcc is at worst, a 9.

A production with mediocre talent, no real production design, limited lighting/grip/sound gear and (ESPECIALLY) mediocre writing and acting that's shot with an Alexa is a 2.

I would bet my life that if the ONLY thing you swapped out of a grade A film was a camera, the difference... or lack of difference, would really shock people. But you'll never see it because as I said above, those productions will go with Alexa because why not if it's pennies to them and easier.

We are getting off topic. The topic isn’t if a BMPCC4K is adequate for cinema. The topic is can you achieve the look of cameras with a better image with the BMPCC4K, and how. That question has been answered as far back as the first page.

If I were a mod this thread would’ve been closed already.

Quote Originally Posted by dbp View Post
    Not to mention that camera rental is such a blip for a large production, that you might as well get the extra quality and ease of use that crews are used to.

But, to illustrate the main point.

If measuringbetween 1 and 10. 10 being a magnificent hollywood production, and 1 being the lowest grade amateur crap heap.

A top calibre hollywood blockbuster with an Alexa is a 10
    A top calibre hollywood blockbuster with a bmpcc is at worst, a 9.

A production with mediocre talent, no real production design, limited lighting/grip/sound gear and (ESPECIALLY) mediocre writing and acting that's shot with an Alexa is a 2.

I would bet my life that if the ONLY thing you swapped out of a grade A film was a camera, the difference... or lack of difference, would really shock people. But you'll never see it because as I said above, those productions will go with Alexa because why not if it's pennies to them and easier.
    You would loose a lot of time shooting with the pocket 4K against the Alexa. I would bet the cost of the production would be higher if you were shooting with a pocket 4K to compensate the lack of DR and highlight rolloff, colorgrading... Furthermore if you look at at camera side by sides, you def see a big difference in image quality between the pocket and the alexa. And I def have disliked movie because of their weird look. For example "collateral" or "public enemies", which stars A list actors and production design but still the image is off...

Senior Member Michael Sandiford's Avatar
    https://vimeo.com/59727570 Shows what a T2i is capable of. In 2013 shot some b-roll once for a feature film using a 550D just for quick cutaways, the main camera was a Red Epic. No one noticed. It's honestly what you put in front of the camera that matters most.

The general audience is far more accepting of whatever look a film is than camera nerds. Most people have motion smoothing video look on their TVs and don't see the problem. Some of us can see when a big movie cuts in a GoPro or dslr because it sticks out like a sore thumb, most don't notice don't care. Since blackmagic small cameras have been out, these inserts have been much more seamless and harder to spot, they may still require some work to match the A camera, but matching is possible. But here's the thing, if you only use the small camera, and don't try to match it to the much more expensive studio camera, if you tell a good story and it looks good enough, people will not care what you shot it on. Spend your time worrying about sound, get that flawless because that's what people notice. If you have wind rumble or AC hum, if your adr is out of sync people will notice and make your production seem cheap. In 2019 sound is much more a defining factor of a pro production than whatever you might shoot on. Make friends with good sound people, on set and post, this is what will get you a real movie.

Digital cinema has come a long way in the past decade or so. Season 4 of Fear the Walking Dead has a beat up DVX as a plot point and shows footage on occasion, and it is a stark contrast to the Alexa the show is shot on. But many of us probably remember when it was the thing to get, the first video camera the kind of looked like film, it was a big deal. We are so spoiled now when even the OG Pocket can look very close to the A camera on most shows. Now we we are arguing minute points that most people can't even see, get over it.