Thread: Why don't we see BlackMagic cameras used in big festivals?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blackmagic cameras are the bottom rung of the cinema camera ladder. If you have the choice, why choose the bottom when you can have the best for not much more?

At least they are on the ladder at all. I cringe when I hear someone talking about some great new project and they are like "shot on a a7sii it looks so good".

At 4-6K an Ursa mini pro is a great tool to have on standby for small projects, commercials, social media etc. It's like having a cheap second car in case your primary transportation breaks down.
    Last edited by GeranSimpson; 03-17-2019 at 09:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by GeranSimpson View Post
    Blackmagic cameras are the bottom rung of the cinema camera ladder. If you have the choice, why choose the bottom when you can have the best for not much more?

At least they are on the ladder at all. I cringe when I hear someone talking about some great new project and they are like "shot on a a7sii it looks so good".
    I assume you mean in relation to Arri.
    Darren Scott
    Freelance Director/Director of Photography

https://vimeo.com/jambredzvisions/videos

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    I assume you mean in relation to Arri.
    Arri, Panavision, Red, Panasonic, Sony..

Arri, Panavision, Red, Panasonic, Sony..
    The UMP is on par with many of those cameras specs wise. In practical use its also only 2nd to Arri in ease of use.
    Darren Scott

Quote Originally Posted by jambredz View Post
    The UMP is on par with many of those cameras specs wise. In practical use its also only 2nd to Arri in ease of use.
    Time to wake up from dreamland if you think an Ursa Mini is even remotely close to a Venice, Varicam, Millenium, Flex...

The Gen 2 upgrade closes the gap a little....but still not even close.

If that were the case we would see Ursa Mini's on sets everywhere but alas...they are - ahem - nowhere.

Blackmagic Design is a relatively new dog in the cinema camera niche, and the movie industry - and that includes the indie movie industry - likes to hang on to established brands and workflows. All that it needs for BMD to pop up more and more in film festivals is time.

Time to wake up from dreamland if you think an Ursa Mini is even remotely close to a Venice, Varicam, Millenium, Flex...

If that were the case we would see Ursa Mini's on sets everywhere but alas...they are - ahem - nowhere.
    Well clearly those other cams are not on that festival list either as you can see its full of ARRI. No one is debating the UMP being A cam on big budget Hollywood films. That wasn't the point of the whole discussion. Maybe you are the one that needs to wake up if you think the UMP's image can't compete with them solely on an image/colour science and DR basis. Sorry but I deal with actual image not brand names. Gen 2 upgrade is the same basic image as the UMP just in case you don't know .

As stated...this industry likes its Brand names and ARRI, Canon, Sony and Panasonic have been in this game much much longer. That doesn't change hard facts that the UMP's image rivals them.
    Last edited by jambredz; 03-17-2019 at 06:22 PM.
    Darren Scott

People aren't choosing cameras based on image alone and color alone. A lot of the difference between those flagship cameras and the UMP is IO, framerates, workflow and reliability, something the UMP does not have. The Gen 2 closes the gap because of more framerate options (not just faster framerates) and improved interfacing. Using a UMP on a fully-crewed feature is like driving a bus with 8 inch wheels.

In terms of post processing, nothing comes close to an Alexa, though. Correcting and grading Alexa footage is simply on another level.

If we are talking renting by the way...
    I remember reading a breakdown article somewhere that renting an Alexa and its associated media costs, accessories etc is still more than shooting on 35mm with a 4:1 ratio...

In terms of post processing, nothing comes close to an Alexa, though. Correcting and grading Alexa footage is simply on another level.
    true
    Darren Scott

You sound like someone that doesn't or hasn't owned a UMP ?

"Not even close" sounds like you think the camera is a long long way...It's not at all.

When day play crew on my unit ask me what a UMP is like I like to say it's 90% of an Alexa for 10% of the price.

But it's more complicated than that. I actually think the image is much closer than 90%, but if you want I can post a bunch of shots from my shows and we'll see if you can pick which are Alexa and which are UMP. So far no one has done it when I challenge people in this way when I read these kinds of general comments.

The show I'm on right now is more than 30% UMP in the edit.

But thing is, I use the UMP to get shots I can't get with an Alexa. I use a lot of different cameras and have always done so. Alexa is the preferred choice on this show because of FEATURES it has, but l know I can get very close to an Alexa look with the work I do using a UMP to get a style of shooting I can't do with an Alexa. Many many scenes are ALL UMP.

JB