Thread: SLR Magic MicroPrime Cine Lenses

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Denny Smith View Post
    I saw one reviewer who thought they cut in very close.
    Cheers
    What reviewer was that? I've been looking for any info on comparisons between the APO's and Microprimes and it's near impossible to find, let alone much footage shot with the Microprimes. I'm thinking of going for the 18mm either way, $550 is pretty fantastic based off of the footage of the other lenses in the set I've seen. Hope they release the others for MFT soon.
    Last edited by Asyndeton; 05-26-2019 at 04:50 PM.

Yes, I was thinking of picking up a 18mm also. The 12mm was reported as being a little soft. But since I have the 11-16 Duclos Zoom, a 18mm Prime seems to fit.
    Cheers.

Yeah, I've seen the same about the 12mm being soft, though I like the sort-of dreamy softness the others lenses the set have when wide open. I ordered the 18mm, should arrive on Friday and I'll try to post some screengrabs since I should have free time over the weekend to walk around downtown with the camera. If I like it enough I'll give the 12mm a chance and hopefully the 25mm and others will be released by end of the year.

Grand, looking forward to seeing what you get, and your response to how the lens works out.
    Cheers

I got the 18mm on Thursday, I got home from work while the sun was going down so I went outside and walked around quickly grabbing some shots of flowers, trying to keep the aperture as open as I could. Didn't have much time so I didn't rig it onto the Crane 2 or use any ND so I kept it at 60fps. Then shots of myself and having trouble to nail focus without someone to help me, I think the first one was wide open, and then the next few were 2.8 - 4 split and the last was at 4. And then obligatory shots of cats!

Overall, I'm very pleased with how the lens performs. The characteristics are right up my ally with the slight softness when wide-open that looks creamy, the bokeh and the way that it flares. I also don't think it's 'too soft' to the point of being unusable like I've seen some people knock it for. I'm going to order the 12mm sometime within the next few weeks, going to wait on pay from a job I recently did, but I'm very excited for it. I found a test video of the x-mount version of it where it definitely looked even softer than this lens wide open, but still acceptable for use. I'm interested to see how well the 12mm matches to the 18mm.

Someone rented my camera for the weekend so I'm hoping to have some time to shoot some more stuff down-town Monday. I'll also note that I saw some people talking about QC issues with the E and X-mount versions in terms of focus being very stiff, maybe they've got that fixed up since then or had no issues with their batch of MFTs because mine has no issues that I've noticed so far. The back-cap sucks and barely stays on the lens though which is annoying.

Grading-wise, I set the timeline colorspace to Pocket 4K Film Gen 4 and the first node was CST to Rec709. All clips except a couple had the same adjustments copied across. One node making a slight s-curve and then another node adjusting lift/gamma/gain and slight contrast adjustment. No other adjustments to color.

Looks good Darren, typical SLR Magic soft creamy look wide open, which is nice, and a interesting looking IQ. Looks very good stoped down also. The 12mm is a little softer wide open from clips I have seen, but should cut in nicely stopped down. Looking forward to your next report. PS, like your house and cats too.
    Cheers

Nice. Very inspiring film. Did you shoot in 4k or 1080?

I use "old" SLR lenses in m43 (12, 25, 35 & 50). I don't know the difference between mine and these new micro-primes except the new body. Is it same optical formula glasses?

Quote Originally Posted by bmpcc_bel View Post
    Nice. Very inspiring film. Did you shoot in 4k or 1080?

I use "old" SLR lenses in m43 (12, 25, 35 & 50). I don't know the difference between mine and these new micro-primes except the new body. Is it same optical formula glasses?
    Shot 4K DCI and BRAW 8:1. Iíve been assuming that the MicroPrimes are new glass they developed. I know the Hyperprimes were rehoused still lenses but I donít know if SLR Magic developed those themselves or if they rehoused something else. A buddy of mine is at CineGear and said heíll try to ask at their booth.

Just saw this article saying the 25mm MFT is going to release at the end of June for $600! https://www.newsshooter.com/2019/06/...t1-5-for-m4-3/

From what I understand, they are new optical designs, similar to the Veydras, not rehoused Hyperprime or other still lenses. For starters the Microprimes are internal focusing, while the rehoused still lenses are all external focusing, in that the lens changes length as the front element moves in and out while it is focused. The breathing is also better controlled on the Microprimes. Read the previous posts here and the referenced sites for details.

Great news on the 25mm, thanks Darren.
    Cheers
    Last edited by Denny Smith; 06-02-2019 at 04:24 PM.

I got the 12mm in today, haven't really done anything with it yet but will doing a simple shoot tomorrow I plan to use it. It's definitely softer than the 18mm wide open, but it seems to be alright at t/4.

The aperture is off between the two lenses, though. The 12mm at every comparative aperture is about 2/3 of a stop brighter than the 18mm. I'm assuming that it's probably a case of 'what you get for $500 cine lens' but I feel like it shouldn't be that far off considering the lenses are measured in t-stops. It's very easy to match them in Resolve, though. I'm going to send an email over to SLR Magic with these clips and see what they say: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/e9tdres58...Bulz5S15a?dl=0

The clips in the dropbox link were both set to exactly T4.0.