Thread: Using the P4k upside down with Zhiyun Crane V2

1. #1 Using the P4k upside down with Zhiyun Crane V2 
    The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K just arrived and I wanted to see if some of the gear I have for my GH cameras can still be used. I tried it on the Zhiyun crane V2 and after a bit of wrangling and coercion got it to balance and it works, albeit upside down. (This is the smaller first Crane Version 2 NOT the Crane 2)
    The QR plate is a copy of the Manfrotto 323.
    on crane v2.jpg
    Last edited by ted ramasola; 01-15-2019 at 01:12 AM.

On the v1 I did it the other way around: I put the camera in the correct position, but placed the gimbal's motor on the left instead of the right, which makes the gimbal believe it's in upside-down position. It works well... except sometimes it won't allow me to look up or down as much as I want, it seems to have some weird limits built in.

But it doesn't make me fight with upside-down menus and a tilted-down screen.

I heard BMD might be releasing a firmware that flip the display upside down. Not hard to do considering its already on the Assist.

Quote Originally Posted by Taikonaut View Post
    I heard BMD might be releasing a firmware that flip the display upside down. Not hard to do considering its already on the Assist.
    That'll be nice. But I think if they're going to make a firmware update they should prioritize more pressing issues, like making a reliable usb c detection without having to unplug prior to boot up.
    Improving the way remaining battery power is indicated to make it more predictable and a pre-shut down warning or indicator.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel H View Post
    On the v1 I did it the other way around: I put the camera in the correct position, but placed the gimbal's motor on the left instead of the right, which makes the gimbal believe it's in upside-down position. It works well... except sometimes it won't allow me to look up or down as much as I want, it seems to have some weird limits built in.

But it doesn't make me fight with upside-down menus and a tilted-down screen.
    Samuel,

How did you manage to move the weight of the camera further back? did you use a certain quick release plate that allowed you to move it further back? or did you use a light lens?

BMD has warned (sorry, I don't remember where) that the top mount isn't meant to sustain much strain. Baring the full weight of the camera on this attachment point could be risky. Hard to say.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd View Post
    BMD has warned (sorry, I don't remember where) that the top mount isn't meant to sustain much strain. Baring the full weight of the camera on this attachment point could be risky. Hard to say.
    Yeah, I don't plan to go this route in the long run. I'm still waiting on my cage to arrive as well. This test was just something I did to see options for stabilized footage and see what other things I need. Realizing that P4k does not have continuous AF one thing I would probably need a follow focus system on the gimbal set up and that would mean upgrading to more recent and capable models.

Quote Originally Posted by ted ramasola View Post
    Samuel,

How did you manage to move the weight of the camera further back? did you use a certain quick release plate that allowed you to move it further back? or did you use a light lens?
    You're right, that required some work: on the horizontal plate, on the side that's closest to the motor, I took away the small rubber pad and the screws below that, then screwed the plate backwards. So, it's a semipermanent thing, not something you want to be doing on set.