Thread: Full Spectrum Conversion (IR & UV) in Europe?

1. #1 Full Spectrum Conversion (IR & UV) in Europe? 
    Thinking of getting my old Pocket converted to a full spectrum camera, by removing the (albeit weak) UV & IR cut filter on the sensor stack. I've found a few services in the U.S., but nothing good in Europe so far. Anyone any experience with a vendor they can recommend? Looking to spend about 100-120 EUR plus shipping.

Not for the sensor stack, but the Heliopan Video Filter does exactly what you want, and is within your price range.

Frank, I suppose he wants to see only UV and IR, not a better filter.
    I can recommend to just use it with a filter blocking visible light, you'll get a nice IR image under daylight.
    Regarding UV, other than photochemical film, all regular silicon sensors are not very sensitive, there may not even be a filter to remove.

Oh, I see

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    Frank, I suppose he wants to see only UV and IR, not a better filter.
    I can recommend to just use it with a filter blocking visible light, you'll get a nice IR image under daylight.
    Regarding UV, other than photochemical film, all regular silicon sensors are not very sensitive, there may not even be a filter to remove.
    Nomad, where are you taking that info from? There are a few UV videos online, mostly done with full spectrum DSLRs, so I don't see why the BMPCC sensor should be an exception here.

It's not that digital sensors are completely insensitive to UV, but they are seeing far less UV than analog film. This is from my own experience with both media when shooting at high altitude.
    Since even the IR filtering is insufficient on most older BM cameras, I doubt they cared for UV.

Another problem might be the UV transmission of your lenses. Manufacturers of ordinary lenses didnt care for UV at all, and most glass is blocking a lot of UV. That's why it's hard to get tanned behind a window pane ;-)

What I'd suggest before looking for an expensive and possibly frustrating modification is getting a second-hand Sigma camera with the Foveon sensor, where you can take out the filter by youself in five minutes. Just to find out what you can really get by some photography. Or rent a monochrome Red camera, take the OLPF out and see what you can get in moving images.
    Last edited by Nomad; 01-05-2019 at 11:00 PM.

I have T2i that I bought years ago and had converted to deep black IR.
    It's great for blue skies with puffy clouds and water.
    Skin tones don't come too bad either.
    Blue jeans can appear white, as well as foliage.
    I still shoot stills and 1080P with it once in a while.
    The conversion wasn't as inexpensive as what you're looking for, and it was in the states.
    Philip Bloom did some blogs on one of the BM cameras, I believe the BMCC where you could just take the filter off yourself.
    Good luck.
    I love my T2i from time to time!

It’s easy to stop visible light with an IR passing filter on a BM camera. I get pretty nice IR footage in bright daylight with an unmodified old Pocket or the UMP while set to “clear” on the filter wheel. UV is much weaker.