Thread: Archiving and retiring clips

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Archiving and retiring clips 
    I like to ask what your retention strategy are for archiving and retiring old clips. I will assume that we all do the same where during the filming we take a ton load of shots. Not all shots are used in the final cut (or deliverable). When archiving in DaVinci, the archive just have the clips that are imported in the media pool and timeline. So the ones that are not imported won't be archived. How long do you keep the unused footages and do you actually back them up (even if they won't be used at all) or just delete them to make more storage room?

For long-term archival storage of all source media your best bet is LTO tape. Or many, many hard drives.

For personal projects, I archive everything, so it's up to you what you want to keep. For company-related work, we archive only what was used in the project and for up to six months.

Thanks Darren. It is work related. We could archive what was used in the project for a couple of years.

I've been using Western Digital BLUE 4T drives for archiving.
    Seems to be the sweet spot for size-to-price value.

Asking clients for the archiving cost has never been an issue since its such a small fee in the scope of just about any project.

**NOTE: Do NOT buy hard drives from Amazon.
    Amazon sells a lot of 'grey market' products and WD will not honor the warranty on them. For obvious reason - no telling where the drive really came from. Fair enough.
    (Amazon is really plagued by grey market and counterfeit items of all types these days. So just be wary.)

I get them from B&H
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BI%3A514&smp=Y
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

Quote Originally Posted by DPStewart View Post
    I've been using Western Digital BLUE 4T drives for archiving.
    Seems to be the sweet spot for size-to-price value.

Asking clients for the archiving cost has never been an issue since its such a small fee in the scope of just about any project.

**NOTE: Do NOT buy hard drives from Amazon.
    Amazon sells a lot of 'grey market' products and WD will not honor the warranty on them. For obvious reason - no telling where the drive really came from. Fair enough.
    (Amazon is really plagued by grey market and counterfeit items of all types these days. So just be wary.)

I get them from B&H
    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...BI%3A514&smp=Y
    Curious DP, what do you use for software for archiving. I've been using Chronosync for quite a while now. Especially for progressive archives. Would like to hear what others think.

Actually I don't bother with any software - I just copy all clips, project files, andwhatbot belongs to a project to one or more hard drives (naked drive in a docking station).
    Speed is the same, but I can always easily get my stuff back, even on a computer, without special backup software. Keeping it lean, clean and simple.

Yeah - Straight copy. No software.
    Like Frank said, keep it lean and mean. Or in other words: AS SIMPLE AS POSSIBLE.
    Just a drive in a docking station. EVERYTHING from the project goes on that drive, and then it gets labeled and goes in a labeled box.

Project archiving should always be kept separate from your own SYSTEM Archiving. That's why there's no software involved.
    You may be called upon to provide this archive to a different post production facility, and they will of course need only the actual clips, files, and folders associated with it.
    Cameras: Blackmagic Cinema Camera, Blackmagic Pocket Camera (x2), Panasonic GH2 (x2), Sony RX100 ii, Canon 6D, Canon T2i,
    Mics: Sennheiser, AKG, Shure, Sanken, Audio-Technica, Audix
    Lights: Every Chinese clone you can imagine

I ingest everything from the shoot to one drive, with an automatic clone to a second drive whenever that drive is switched on (using Carbon Copy Cloner). CCC has a 'Safety Net' option, which will keep old files on the back-up drive (space permitting) even when they have been removed from the source drive. This has saved me once.

When I shot with a BMPCC, it was more of an issue, but now that I'm using a C100 Mkii for most stuff, the files are so small that I can usually keep everything. A 30 64GB card gives 6+ hours. Most of my clients don't care about the unused footage. Those that do (usually dance companies) can have a hard-drive with everything on, or the back-up copy from the camera, if they pay for it.

I have a clear-out every few months and clients are asked if they want copies. Really, I should be adding this kind of thing to the written agreement at the start.

I'm not sure about archiving just the used footage. I understand that it allows for re-rendering, but it doesn't really give any options to revisit the project and make meaningful changes.

I suggest using specialized software to minimize wear on the tape and drive heads.

Something like this:

https://www.newsshooter.com/2018/09/...ng-lto-easier/

https://hedge.video/canister

I backup and copy to two 8TB drives and also to a removable drive for offsite storage. I use this software for a few reason: (1) IT's FREE, (2) I can do simultaneous drive backups/archiving to multiple drive, (3) It's like COPY but a little be more sophisticated, and (4) I can add it to the scheduler and let the backup happened off hours.

https://freefilesync.org/