Thread: Light Meter Calibration

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]
    Shot on veydra 35mm at a 2.8. My sekonic 758 lines up really well for log on the p4k.

Definitely try a front light when your testing charts.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by rze View Post
    Since you have more of a 3/4 side light, did you angle the grey card towards the key light? If you want to be more precise, do a front light over camera for the test.
    rze how could i light meter for the shot below? i usually just have the dome facing the camera and i put the meter below my mouth by my chin. is that the right way or should i face the dome towards my key instead of the camera. i hate deer lighting. i want mood. thanks in advance

shot.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jsfilmz View Post
    rze how could i light meter for the shot below? i usually just have the dome facing the camera and i put the meter below my mouth by my chin. is that the right way or should i face the dome towards my key instead of the camera. i hate deer lighting. i want mood. thanks in advance

shot.jpg
    Face the dome towards the key. The way I do it is that I use incident readings for key lights and fill, and spot meters for background exposure readings. Then you don't need to worry about the spot being a reading for exposing for middle grey. For your moody style, regardless of the color of the background your going to be looking for a spot reading 2-4 stops down from your key light depending on how moody. You don't seem like a backlight guy, but because of the law of cosines its a little difficult to meter. I'll usually go off a monitor I trust for fill and backlight levels since their the most delicate for low key cinematography, but if you want to use the meter, run tests for backlight with incident reading matching the key, then 1 stop up and 1 stop down and see what you like. Also for low key cinematography, 2 or even 3 stops down for key lights is totally acceptable, you just allways need your backgrounds to be under the key light.

Quote Originally Posted by rze View Post
    Face the dome towards the key. The way I do it is that I use incident readings for key lights and fill, and spot meters for background exposure readings. Then you don't need to worry about the spot being a reading for exposing for middle grey. For your moody style, regardless of the color of the background your going to be looking for a spot reading 2-4 stops down from your key light depending on how moody. You don't seem like a backlight guy, but because of the law of cosines its a little difficult to meter. I'll usually go off a monitor I trust for fill and backlight levels since their the most delicate for low key cinematography, but if you want to use the meter, run tests for backlight with incident reading matching the key, then 1 stop up and 1 stop down and see what you like. Also for low key cinematography, 2 or even 3 stops down for key lights is totally acceptable, you just allways need your backgrounds to be under the key light.
    Rze thanks man. In that shot my bg was about 2.5 stops under. I dont have any flags and im in a tiny ass room so i cant get it to drop anymore. Thanks for the tips man. Ill save up for some decent light meter hahaha